Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys

I recently bought a new PC and its been running fine, up until a month or two ago - my PC started freezing frequently... strange thing is when my sister turns her PC off it stops freezing.

Today though, something else happened - I got a blank blue screen just before my login screen popped up, and the next time i booted up, it was a few seconds longer... and every time i boot it stays slightly longer then the last time.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi r4zor,

hmmm.......first off if your internet is working fine, download spybot and adware SE, which are really good spyware utilities and install them on your computer. update them and run both spybot and adware se and see if they detect any spyware on your computer.

you can download both programs by clicking on the links on my sig. also click on start -> run -> and type in "msconfig" without the "". then click on the startup tab and uncheck any programs that you dont need running in the background.

also have you defrag the computer lately? if not check out www.majorgeeks.com and download "diskeeper" which is a really good defragging utilitty.

also you can try booting up with your windows xp cd and perform a "chkdsk /r" with the cd. first though you will need to go into the bios and change the first boot device to cdrom. then save settings and exit the bios. with your windows xp cd in the cdrom the computer should automatically boot to the cd and then on the main console, choose repair instead of install windows xp.

the computer will ask your for an admin password but simply just hit enter to skip the process if you dont have a password. then on C: type in "chkdsk /r" without the "" and make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /r.

after this is finish, restart the computer and boot into windows. see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did everything you said, freezing is a lot less frequent, but I'm still getting this damn blue screen - it isnt a blue screen of death.

heres a screeshot:

It's worrying me because it says for longer and longer each time I boot :(. And I have scanned for viruses/adware/spyware... nothing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.