Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone help me with networking a pc so i can transfer files to it (act as a network server or something)

if so please AIM me at APEX GFX
MSN Messenger [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger hundredtwentypercent

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
First, all computers should be in the same workgroup. Right Click on My Computer and hit Properties. Under Workgroup, you should see a name. This should be the same on all PCs you want to share on.

Second, go to My Computer on the PC that will act as network server (Regular) and right click properties. Go to sharing tab, and make sure that Windows Firewall is allowing this type of connections AND that the folder can share. Once that is done, place files in Shared Documents and the other PCS should be able to get to them through Network Neighborhood.

BMR777

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You need to start by telling us about your network configuration and what you really expect. What versions/patch levels of Windows you run, do you have shared Internet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
johnwill said:
You need to start by telling us about your network configuration and what you really expect. What versions/patch levels of Windows you run, do you have shared Internet?
Im on Windows XP Pro and the other computer i want to share files with is Windows XP Home.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The cheapest solution would be for you to go out and buy a crossover cable. It looks just like a normal Cat5, except it allows two computers to share files without the use of a hub, switch, or router.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Resolution said:
The cheapest solution would be for you to go out and buy a crossover cable. It looks just like a normal Cat5, except it allows two computers to share files without the use of a hub, switch, or router.
ok but do they make em 80 feet long?

can a Cat5 do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
efstratis said:
ok but do they make em 80 feet long?
Sure, if you buy it on a spool, however, you might want to consider going wireless. Also, 80ft apart is a major detail to leave out. As johnwill said, give us a detailed explanation of your situation so we can help you further.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No. It has to be a crossover cable, however, that may not be the option you want. A crossover cable is normally used when the computers are close together. Like I said, give us details on what you are looking for. Is this your home? Are the computers on different floors?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.