Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, the sound on my computer is distorted. I know what caused it but, I don't know where it came from or how to get rid of it. I'm not sure what it's called however, the folder is located in the C drive. The exact location is C:\WINNT\Speech There are about 10 files in it and they don't delete completely when I simply right click and send it to the recycle bin. I told a friend about it and he suggested total commander, he said it works when windows won't remove the files on it's own. This didn't help at all. When I tried opening one of the files, I got a kind of warning saying that "You are attempting to open a file type 'Application Extension' (.dll) These files are used by the operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system. If you still want to open the file, click Open With, otherwise, click Cancel."

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
one of your programs must have speech capability,i have it in opera and office
there was a similar post in the last couple of days and it was found that the speech recognition was picking up sounds and trying to interpret them as instructions and causing havok,because it had not been configured to the user's voice
with office it is usually locted in the right hand task bar icons and in opera it is in the preferences setup and in messenger it is under tools
these are the only ones i am familiar with

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have opera or office so that can't be it and I checked messenger, it's not there. Is there any way to just get rid of it all together?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
in the run box type
sfc /scannow
and press enter
this will restore the system files in case you corrupted any trying to remove them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.