Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
oh where to begin:

I performed a disc check the other day, becuase my computer was restarting and applications were failing.

After the disk check I decided to also defragment the hard drive, to my horror, I accidently turned off the power, when I later got home and discovered that i accidently turned the power off without a second thought I knew I was in for trouble! I think? Would this cause an error?

Loading the system, it would restart after the windows load up screen constantly.

I tried reinstalling Windows XP, and I've tried this several times, with several different HDD, several different disc drives and several different XP Home Edition installation discs.

To try and help, a 'friend' came with his system and put the hard disc drive into his, to my horror the HDD began to smoke slightly. So I'm now worried that the HDD may be broken and I REALLY need and want the data stored on it, so does anyone think that the HDD will still be okay?! When I try using it as the master device the system doesn't come on at all. But I haven't yet tried it as a slave drive.

Also there was a problem before all of this, which was managable, which was that the system after being unplugged would request that I set the BIOS settings, which it still does! Something like "CMOS Checksum bad", can anyone tell me how to fix this or if this may be a contributor to my problems!?

Can someone please help, I've only three weeks of college left and I desperately need to finish my assignments!

P.S. I'm totally broke so getting new parts is almost out of the question and help is much appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.