Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the IT field and as part of a test to improve my skills I have a few questions that I need help with::

List a few ways to repair windows installations without a windows cd when WINDOWS WILL NOT BOOT INTO NORMAL MODE
AND
The following additional difficulties exist.
When
-Pressing F8 to do last known good, and safe mode are NOT AVAILABLE or Working
-Original Windows CD is not present
-Hard drive IS working
-Customer's data is of vital importance
-Customer would PREFER to avoid a reinstall
(list different ways for xp and vista if there are any.

Thanks in advance,

SchmoeHawk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Virus Removal

As mentioned in an earlier post I am a newbie and have a few questions for a skills test I am working on:

List some ways to remove a virus when you
CAN NOT
Install common antivirus programs in windows normal mode
access msconfig in normal mode
access taskmanager in normal mode
do a system restore in normal AND safe mode
access the internet in normal mode.

Thanks folks,

SchmoeHawk

·
Deceased
14,580 Posts
Re: Virus Removal

Hi:

Looks sort like about the same questions you asked here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/help-with-xp-and-vista-reinstall-439203.html#post2480624

Sounds like you have a PC and want to know how to clean up yourself.

The only way to learn how to remove malware is enroll in a course of instruction at one of several forums, like this one that teach it.

If you are asking questions for a "School" our form rules prohibit it:

"You may not ask for assistance with homework assignments, projects or book reports for school college or university"

If you do have an infected PC, we will try to help you.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50...-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

BG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Windows Repair and Recovery

Please someone help lest I gouge my own eyes out. I am new to the IT field and trying to start putting my cd slash usb drive repair discs/tools together and I am very confused. Someone please tell me the difference in the following:

[*]Repair Disc
[*]Recovery Disc
[*]Boot Diagnostic Disc
[*]Image file used as recovery/repair
[*]when and where I can use chkdsk and fixmbr

Can I create a disc from my say, XP Pro sp3 system to be used on someone else's to recover or repair their system if they have a license key they can use??

And closer to home one of my personal pc's stopped booting recently and one of the issues was the power supply so I took out the hard drive and put it in another desktop and changed boot priority to boot from it and all that happens is it acts like it is trying to start the blue screen comes on for 1/8th of a second and it starts over and does the same thing in a loop. What is the best way to repair this relative to the list above.

I just cannot get my hands around what to use when and it's driving me crazy..I have read until I am blue in the face and it's just too much information..:upset::upset::upset::upset::upset:

Help!!!!

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I've merged all your posts into this thread as they all look like questions from a school test paper.

Do you work as an IT tech or do you need help with school questions? What level are you at and what IT qualifications do you already have?

SchmoeHawk said:
And closer to home one of my personal pc's stopped booting recently and one of the issues was the power supply so I took out the hard drive and put it in another desktop and changed boot priority to boot from it and all that happens is it acts like it is trying to start the blue screen comes on for 1/8th of a second and it starts over and does the same thing in a loop. What is the best way to repair this relative to the list above.
You've done this the wrong way round. You should have put a known-good PSU into the original PC instead of putting the hard drive into another PC. The hard drive contains Windows which is setup to work on the original PC's motherboard, so putting it into any other PC and trying to boot it will usually fail because it's a different motherboard. Please post the full system specs of both computers you're working on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it is not a school paper. My earlier post as I noted was part of a skills test. If you guys can't help with that I understand.

I need help as I stated. I am currently A+ certified (the tests as you know are multiple choice). The hands on part is giving me some problems. I have recently made a complete career change from Finance and management to IT and I am teaching this to myself online. I've never had a computer course it was not a part of normal curriculum in high school and college in my day.

My latest posts are lgitimate questions I stilll have. For a forum like this I assumed that someone could help me with these things with no problem. So I would appreciate if you would separate my posts and allow me to get the answers I need.

Seems a bit officious to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.