Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am not sure what happened, Mcafee found a virus on my system, ran the virus scan and it was supposed to clean it. After removed all malicious files and rebooting the system, I no longer have an internet connection. I have tried everythign I can think of and used numerous resources on the net to try to troubleshoot this. I cannot create a new connection, modify it, nothing. Ipconfig /release and /renew do nothing. When I look t the IP address it shows it as being:

IP: 169.254.189.30
SubNet Mask: 255.255.0.0
No defult Gatway

I also cannot repair the connection.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It might be best if you downloaded HijackThis and submitted the log to the HijackThis Forum. The analysts there can determine if you have spyware that prevents you from establishing a connection to the Internet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
have you tried turning off your firewall
sometimes you get 192 because of the firewall but sometimes you can get 169
make sure it is turned off and if you are using xp goto network connections -> [right click] your local area connection, [click] disable (wait for it to be disabled), then right click again and enable, then right click again and rebuild

if that doesnt work i would recomend what kind of connection you are using
is is dial up or hi speed
are you behind a router on that machine?
if you are behind a router i would uninstall the ethernet driver from the device manager, reboot your computer, when it reboots give windows a few moments and it will find and reinstall your driver automatically and try again to connect

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.