M/B temp 39C/102F
CPU fan speed 3541RPM
Chassis fan speed 0 RPM
Vcore 1.53V
+3.30V 3.26V
+5.00V 4.89V
+12V 12.34V

motherboard:asrock P4I45G. Intel Pentium (4) 2Ghz

Latest hardware change (last year): A more powerful power supply and 512MB of additional RAM (for a total of 1GB)

Since yesterday I have been getting the blue screen of windows and first I tried to use the recovery console; it didn-t work.

Next I completely formated my HDD and created a new partition and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP (I did this twice)

but....

When Windows files were being installed I got the blue screeb of death again, so I think pretty much rules out a Windows problem.

I haven't take a note of the blue screen's details as everytime the PC reboots by itself I get a different type of error.

By the way I ran memtest86 and it did not report a problem after 3 passes.

Anyone knows what can I do to know exactly what piece of either software (which I doubt) or hardware is failing?

Thanks for your help,
Roberto

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Did you run memtest on one stick at a time? Multiple sticks can give incorrect results.

Try running a live cd, like a linux cd.

If a live cd doesn't crash, could be a hard drive problem, windows format doesn't really scrub a drive, it just marks sectors as available for writing. The original corrupt install could cause problems with subsequent installs. Live cd's are very handy for that.

How's your power supply? A weak or failing psu can cause all sorts of problems.

Give us some specs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm going to try the memtest one stick at a time.

Where can I get a Live CD? Are there Windows Live CD's?

I'm not familiar with Linux.

How can I check my power supply to see if it's workingn properly?

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
You cab download Live CD from any Linux site. This link is to Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Brand and model number of the PSU please.
To see the Error Codes on the BSOD you need to disable the PC restart.
Right Click on “My Computer” go to “Properties”. Then go to the “Advanced” tab and under the headline “Startup and Recovery”, press the “Settings” button. Untick the “Automatically Restart” box and press Ok.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello guys:

I am still trying to do the Live CD test but it's a big file and my PC does not last that long before showing the BSOD. Is there a problem if I do the Live CD on another PC?

As far as the error codes is concerned I don't think it's of much help because everytime I get a BSOD it shows completely different information. But anyway here's one of error codes:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x80000004, 0x8066EE94A, 0x80550794, 0x00000000)

PSU unit specifications:

Axix model LC-B450ATX
Input 115V-230V, 10A-6A,50Hz-60Hz

By the way I ran memtest on one sick at a time but after 3 passes it never showed an error. (I have 2 512MB sticks).

Thanks for your help,
Roberto

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
I would run memtest overnite on one stick at a time sometimes 3 passes just ain't enough.
I would also test the hdd with the manufactures diagnostics, you can download these for free at the there website.
Also remove any unnecessary cards,drives and the like.
If your overclocking go back to defaults till you get windows up and running and the system is stable

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried memtest all night (7 hours,21 passes) and still no errors.

Cannot run western's digital diagnostic tool as it lasts about 3 minutes and Windows XP doesn't lasts that long before it shows the BSOD again.

I don't have another PC which I can connect the HD into so I'm out of options.

Also I removed all drives and unnecessary cards but the problem did not go away.

This morning I got an error message that looks like a BIOS one but unfortunately I did not write it down. It was a red tex message and it said something about System Halted, remove master hard disk drive and put the slave one as master.

Anyone has seen this error? Maybe my WD HDD is the problem. I haven't even had a year with this 500 GB HDD. I bought it on Aug 2008.

Thanks for your help,
Roberto

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More clues....

I swaped hard disks and installed XP on my other 80 GB HDD, disconnected the WD,left only one memory stick, and...

still the BSOD.

This makes me think that the problem is neither the HDD nor the memory sticks.

Any ideas guys? The PSU? motherboard?

Thanks,
Roberto

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
When you did the reinstall did it give the bsod during the install?

Or did it bsod after the drivers were installed?

Try another data cable for the hdd

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Does it do it in safe mode?
Go to asrock and get all the latest drivers.
I also read somewhere that a bios update could help this error, check and see if your running the latest bios

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That's exactly what the problem is likely to be. One of the capacitors of the motherboard is swollen. Looks like I'm going to need a new motherboard.

The bsod shows up in Safe Mode as well.

Will check for the latest BIOS drivers.

Have had this motherboard for more than 10 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.