Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Asus VK222 monitor and since I got a GTX 580 GPU my screen started tearing up and shivering every time I play a demanding 3D game. And when I say tearing up I don't mean the simple thing of absent Vsync. I mean a really bad case of an entire screen shaking like jelly -Kinda reminds me of what happened to old CRTs when a cellphone rang next to them (There's really nothing around my monitor though)

Before the GTX 580 I had a GTS 250 and before that a 9800 GTX. This is the first time my monitor has this kind of problem

Further tech info:
The monitor only provides a miserable VGA cable so I used a DVI adapter to connect it.
Display is at its native 1680x1050 and 60hz refresh rate.
Vsync is forced ON through Nvidia control panel.

System specs:
MB Asus Stryker II Formula
CPU Core2 Duo 8400 3Ghz
RAM Transcend AxeRam 4 GB 1333
PSU Etasis ET750
Note: The GPU required a 6-pin and 8-pin power supply. The PSU did not have 8-pins so I used a 6-pin/8-pin adapter. I don't know if this has to do with anything. But I called tech support and they said power supply like this will be fine.
OS is win 7 pro x32

Suggestions I've got so far that did not help

Get monitor drivers: There aren't any. The only software ASUS provides for this monitor is some lame utility for the built-in webcam.

Turn on Vsync: It is on. I turn it on in every game. I forced it on in Nvidia control panel.

Change the refresh rate: Can't. This monitor simply wont accept anything above 60hz at a 1680x1050 resolution. Someone suggested I change the refresh rate to 59hz -That did not help either.

Get a DVI cable: Can't. Like I said, the monitor only provides VGA connection. The monitor sucks I know but four years ago the 22" and 2ms response time for 160 euros sounded marvelous :p

Get a new monitor: Give me money *LOL* -No seriously, if I can't find any solutions I'll consider getting a new one. (The humanity)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any insight on this weird problem. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Ok your running a 500$ videocard on a 5 year old 40$ power supply.

That power supply wasn't a quality unit when it came out and 5 years later I doubt it even produces 400w. Bin that unit and go for an actual good unit

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

As for a more technical explanation. The efficiency on your power supply is bad , none of the 12v rails have enough amps for a pci-e card let alone a 580. The fact that it doesn't even have enough connectors for the gpu is another sign of it's age. And due to this age and your previous hardware there's no way it produces anything near 750w.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.