Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my computer runs very slow when trying to load computer games. I even have to keep games such as LOL or D2 on the lowest possible settings and it still jumps around during game play. will a SSD help with the load times or the game being choppy? It's not my video card as it's only about a year old. But, everything else is old. Also, what SSD would work for my PC? Specs below. Thanks

Processor old - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz

Ram - 8 gigs

MB - old asrock

VC - NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,000 Posts
SSD not necessarily the answer. Could use more RAM, but that too might not fix problem. Make sure your GPU has the latest drivers.

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,516 Posts
If your computer has steadily gotten slower, then your HDD may be aging and may have some Bad Sectors.
Download DiskGenius in my signature, select your drive and go to the Toolbar to Disk/View SMART information. This will give you a Quick snapshot of the Health of your HDD. You can also go to View or Repair Bad Sectors/Start Verify. This will take a very long time but show you a map of all of the Bad Clusters on your drive, if any. If you have more then a couple you need to replace the drive ASAP, upgrading to an SSD would be the best option. Any standard 2.5" SSD drive should work to replace the HDD.
That being said, it probably won't improve your gaming performance. As stated upgrading RAM and installing latest Video drivers if you are trying to run the latest games.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the first thing you need to do is upgrade your RAM to 16GB. If you have problems with the disk, then use Partition Recovery to find and fix them. There isn't much point in STO. You can speed up the loading of programs and games, but this will not give an increase in FPS. 16GB of RAM, on the other hand, will give you a significant performance boost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts