Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i have just brought a router so i can access the net from my 2 computers at the same time and have a local network running. Our internet is broardband and we use an DSL Cable?? (Sorry not up with this stuff). For some reason when trying to connect to our ISP it say connection is timed out and does not connect. But the network connects fine. I cannot figure out what the problem is does anyone have any ideas?? I have a TP-LINK TL-R402M Router, this is the web site: http://www.tp-link.com/product/show.asp?ProductNO=391 thanks so much, Robert

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You need to figure out if you have cable or DSL. DSL usually needs the router to be configured with PPPoE, a user name and password (usually your default e-mail address and password).

You should also power everything off when you connect it, then power up in this order: Modem, wait 4 minutes, Router, wait 4 minutes, PC's, wait until it is fully booted and see if you have a connection.

JamesO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi yea i pretty sure we have DSL. How do i configure ot with PPPoE?? The problem i think is the router stopping the internet from connecting? for some reason it does not allow it to go through. The manual says i need to install protocol (TCP/IP) but i dont have any drivers?? Thanks Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Almost all DSL service is PPPoE. If you do not have the login information (username/password) that you will need for configuring your router, you need to contact your service provider and get that information. It is probally the fully primary e-mail address on your account.

Once you get that information you need to then setup your router. (Chapter 3 btw). After you have your router in the picture, click on your start > run type in command (win 98/me) or cmd (NT/XP/2000), and click ok. Now type in ipconfig.

you should see something like...

Code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : your.isp.net
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.x
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
if you do then type exit .

(chapter 4.2)

Next go Start > run and type http://192.168.1.1

You should see a promt where the router is asking for a username and password. Enter admin for both...yes, all lowercase, then click ok.

Click next and you should see where the router ask you for your connection type. This is where you choose PPPoE and then click next.

You now see a prompt for your Username / Password...now this is for connection to your ISP. Put in your Username / Password that you have for your ISP. Click next....Yes, It is case-sensitive.

Now click finish to complete the configuration of your router. and now try to go to browse a website.

Hopes this helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.