6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
System Specs:
Asus P4P800/256 cache/FSB800/8xAGP
Byte 256MB DDR3200 400mhz RAM
Intel P4-1.8ghz Processor
ATI Radeon 9100 128mb Video 8xAGP
435W-P4 power supply

Put this puppy all together the other night. Right away, I got the "overclocking failed" error. Pressed F2 to load defaults and got it to boot. Got WinXP installed, loaded drivers for onboard sound and the Radeon. All is good. Shut down machine. Today I searched for answers to the overclocking error. Booted machine, went into BIOS and set FSB/CPU external frequency synchronization to 200 (according to user manual for MB). This allowed me to set DRAM frequency to 400mhz. Pressed F10 to save and exit. System froze. Finally powered off. Waited a minute....powered back up. Nothing. No power supply fan, no CPU fan, nothing but the little green light on the MB. Detached all drives, took MB out of case. Removed memory and powered up. Nothing. Removed CMOS battery and reset per the manual. Finally got power to power supply and CPU. Thought I was in the clear, so I put everything back together and powered up. No video, no HDD, nothing but the CPU and power supply fans running. Light is on on the MB, but it's not giving me display. No beeps either (speakers connected). I even tried another power supply I had here (also a 435w-P4). Same problem. Not accessing HDD or CD-Rom. Nothing working but these fans. I've taken the MB out of the case, disconnected everything except power supply and CPU. Attached the speakers. Powered up. Same thing. No beeps to indicate lack of memory or anything else. No video. One other strange thing........power is not coming on by using the ATX power switch. When I turn on the power supply switch, it powers the board. I've tried turning the power switch connector back and forth. Still does not control power in any way. I'm completely befuddled. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
376 Posts
That older processor won't support 800FSB, Hyper Threading, and other newer stuff. What all do you have set up in the BIOS? Don't push that old CPU too much, or it could get damaged.

Which version of BIOS are you using?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't know which version of BIOS. it's the default with the MB. Never got a chance to upgrade it. Can't even get to the BIOS to set it back to defaults. Won't do anything except power the power supply and CPU fan. It's a brand new processor. If it's the problem, i have no trouble to return it. I just need to know if that's what's causing the trouble. Shouldn't the MB create the beeps (no video, memory, etc) regardless?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
That older processor won't support 800FSB, Hyper Threading, and other newer stuff.
He's right about the 800 FSB, but Asus does claim support of both "P4-1.8A GHz(Socket478)(400 MHz FSB)" and "P4-1.8 GHz(Socket478)(400 MHz FSB)" on the straight P4P800 mobo.

I do recall most other 875P-based mobo's specifically noting that 400 FSB isn't supported (for example MSI 875P-Neo-FIS2R, Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, and Abit iC7, Soyo SY-P4i875P Dragon 2, and even Intel D875PBZ).
But Asus doesn't appear to make that disclaimer.

Hmmm... if Intel doesn't support 400 on their mobo, I wonder how Asus does it?

-clintfan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just spoke to Asus. Last resort is to remove processor and only have power supply, processor fan and external speaker attached to MB. If it's bad MB, I should still have nothing. If it's bad processor, I should get either the beep or recording that no processor is installed. Processor is brand new so either MB or processor can be swapped out if necessary. I'm still thinking MB, as there's the power switch issue as well. Anyway, i'll post my update after I test this theory tonight. He's already updated my case number to indicate that RMA is available if I request it. I just want to know what the problem is. It's driving me crazy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
removed the processor last night. only left the cpu fan connected. powered up and no beeps. so i'm sending the mb back. I'll update once the new board is received and installed. Thanks for all the advice!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

Well, received the replacement board last Friday. Gathered everything together and put this puppy back together last night. I wasn't even going to try piece by piece. I figured it would either work when complete or I was throwing it out a window.

IT Worked!!! Everything coming up just fine. Not even an overclocking error (like before). I've brought up XP and shut down/restarted about 10 times. No problems.

Thanks so much for all your advice and assistance, everyone!!!

blueish :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeh the p4p800 does support 400 mhz bus speed and it will be automatically set to that with that 1.8 ghz processor. Once you get a 2.4c,2.6c,2.8c etc then the motherboard will set the bus speed to 800 mhz automatically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.