Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to networking , but I frekan love it~!! =] even tho its hard lol

IM ahving some trouble ... what I wanna do is create CERTAIN user permissions for my server I have in the other room

This PC's name is "dalepc" & the server name is "brucepc"

ON "brucepc"(the server) I try to add " dalepc" to the share permissions but it doesnt find it

how come~??

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,019 Posts
That's because NTFS permissions are on a user basis, not on a computer basis. The users that you're granting permission to have to have a user account on the machine you're configuring the permissions on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay there are a few user accounts on "dalepc" that I have , there are 3 administrator accounts on here .

On "brucepc" ( the server pc ) it looks something like this:

First Screenshot

when i click Permissions under the "Sharing" tab , the share permissions box comes up , then when I click "add" , the "select users or groups " box comes up , but i dont see "dalepc" even when i click on " locations " , there is only " brucepc"

IM trying to share "FreeAgent Drive G" on "brucepc" to "dalepc" ... i am successful but its because the " everyone " group has all permissions ... but i only want DALEPC to access it & no other pcs

how can i get "dalepc" to access this HD and no one else~?? isnt there a way I can add "dalepc" to the user permission list or something like that~??

Second Screenshot

when i click on locations , only "brucepc" ( the server ) is there ..... where is dalepc lol ... there are a bunch of accounts on "dalepc" but even when i try to enter a user account where it says " Enter object names to select" box , it cant find the account name....

we're connected by a dlink router & both pc's have winxp sp2

helppppppp

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
The user accounts need to be on the server (brucepc) for you to give permissions to them. When you connect on the client (dalepc) they will need to authenticate with one of the accounts on brucepc, by default it is the everyone account.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh okay now im starting to understand~!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so there needs to be user accounts ON THE SERVER PC (brucepc) ... ooohh okay i thought there needed to be accounts on the client pc(dalepc) .... ahhh i see~!!!

So its like , the clients connect to some type of user account LOCATED ON THE SERVER(brucepc) ... ahh it makes sense now

THanks a bunch~!! anymore tips or anything else i need to know~??? =]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oaky now i need some more help

screenshot

okay in the "Select Users or Groups" box , i click "Advanced" and then if i click" Find Now " a list of names ( users & groups i think ) pop-up...

i can see " bruce BRUCEPC" is my PC .. but what are the rest of those names~??

like i see dialup,network,guest,power users,replicator,service.....

how do i know which one for the client pc to use~?????

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Those are the other user accounts and groups that are on BrucePC. What you can do is create a user account on both machines with the same name and password then when you connect it will authenticate with that account because it is on both computers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
one last question ...

How exactly do client PC's know what kind of permissions I want them to connect to~??

Like say:

Dalepc , I want this pc to connect to power users account on BRUCEPC
&
dalepc2 , i want this pc to connect to administrator account on BRUCEPC

how exactly does this work~??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.