Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:upset:
Need help with a MB and Chip I just bought.

This is a bare bones system. Gah! I forget the motherboard type. But its a 1.4ghz amd chip. And this is my issue.

When I boot the system i runs for 10 seconds and dies. The chip is getting super hot, so I am not sure if it's the chip or the MB. The very first time I booted it up it beeped once, nothing since then.

I am going to buy a more powerful fan and test the board out with a 700mhz chip to determine what it could be. But I'd like any suggestions of what it may be. Every thing gets power, but it doesn't go far enough to see anything on the monitor.

Spanks!!
-=*TC*=-

S

·
0 Posts
When you say chip do you mean Processor?

If you do how do you know it's getting that hot?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, when I say chip I mean processor *giggles* same thing!

I know it's getting hot cause I have the case open, and I can feel the heat being genertated. The fan is not cooling it sufficently. Hope I didn't fry it, cause you can smell roasted silicon goodness *LoL*

It's just getting hot way to fast, and at that point it just dies.

I'll have to get another fan today. I have it here at work and we are fartin around with it.

*Elven Hugs and Kisses*
-=*TC*=-

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way, I didn't even have the opportunity to over clock it. I didn't mess with any jumpers at all. Just tried to boot it as is after I got he CDR, and HD in.

De Nad! Just get's hot and pffft dies!!

Hey do you guys know how to mod a case. I have a dremmel but I don't know what kind of bit to use to drill the case metal. Also what kind of spray paint is best to Modify a case? Do you have to use primer before you paint it?

Spanks!!

TC

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds to me like the heatsink isn't sitting flat on the top of the processor. Did you use thermal paste or a pad that usually comes with the heatsink?

I myself don't recommend using a dremel to cut hole a in a case.

A hand drill and a saber saw does it much faster and neater.

Take a look about half way down this thread Modding.........:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just checking that thread out.

I didn't want to cut a hole out but cut out a stencil of a celtic dragon and put some red lights in da box. I wanted something to do more intricate work and not a big ole hole.

I saw you're sys btw and it looks SWEET! hehe

Do you have to use primer to repaint the case?

-=*TC*=-

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I discovered that it was a chip. I fried it!! We tested with another AMD and it worked fine.

Thanks for the help!!
xoxoxox
TC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.