Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

help with new AMD build

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 · (Edited)
Just built a new computer with the following specs.

Asus m4a77td
AMD ADX630WFGIBOX Athlon II X4 2.80 GHz 3600 MHz AM2+/AM3 4 x 512KB Desktop Processor Retail
WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar?SE16 SATA WD6400AAKS SATA 7200 RPM 16MB Buffer Hard Drive Bulk
OCZ OCZ3P18002GK 2GB PC3-14400 (DDR3-1800) DDR3 Memory Retail
PNY GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0
Coolermaster 600w power supply

ive been having freezing in windows and random restarts every now and then. vista fails to install properly. something is now screwed up and during boot up it says "bootmgr is missing" im unable to boot from either my dvd rom or dvd burner PATA drives. i was able to once to repair windows so it restarted to fix it but got the bootmgr error again. ive tried different hard drives and drive configurations with no luck. i am very lost at the moment.

also in the bios boot order i only see my HD and dvd drive but not the burner. but when i press f8 during boot up, i am given multiple options and see both PATA drives and SATA hd. not sure if this is affecting my problems.

i would like to get this fixed for my brother before i leave this sunday. thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Make sure the dvd rom is jumperd to master and on the end of the ide cable.
make sure the dvd burner is jumperd as slave and on middle connection of the ide cable

Enter bios and see if both drives are listed, if so boot from you vista cd and repair.

If one or both drives are not listed in bios remove the burner and then see if you can boot from your vista dvd.

Don't forget to check your boot order in bios and save when exit after making changes

report back

#3 ·
All the PATA drivers are connected accordingly. I was able to flash the bios via usb with the latest but apparently its not very stable. I tried flashing to another bios but it said it was the wrong file. I tried again but it froze this time. Now the monitor is not getting any video signal. Can a bad bios prevent me from seeing whats on the screen?

#6 ·
I have the same motherboard as you but its m4a77td pro. I also had the same ram but running at 1600 . The motherboard can only handle 1333 unless overclocked(idk if the mb automatically downclocks the ram but i changed the settings in the ram) . My computer worked for some time but then it just starts to restart. I exchanged the ram for gskill and i did not have those problems anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.