Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys (and maybe girls), I have a bit of a problem and I would really appreciate any help.
Firstly, here's my networking situation. My household has a few computers all sharing a 256/256 ADSL connection using a Netcomm 5-port 10/100Mbps N-Way SmartSwitch (http://www.interwebonline.com.au/product_info.php/cPath/1_39_131/products_id/876). My computer is upsairs connected via a very long cable while the others are downstairs (connected via shorter cables). I play games over the net on mine, while the others are mainly just used to surf the web, MSN, etc.
Now here's the problem. Whenever anyone connects to MSN or loads a webpage or something like that on the ones downstairs, my comp's internet slows to the pace of a snail, and this is pretty problematic when I'm trying to play a game or do anything that requires a constant connection.
Thus my question: would there be any way to give my computer some kind of priorety (connection-wise) over the others? My sister wont mind having to wait a few extra seconds for a webpage to load, but I will get upset if I'm in the middle of a Battlefield 2 game and I suddenly get booted because of mega lag.
I would really appreciate any help or ideas anyone can throw at me. Thanx a ton. :)
[Note: I forgot to mention that usually games and such will run fine on my comp, it's only when someone starts using the net downstairs that it becomes a problem.]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hold up that was a bit long as I started to waffle on. Basically, is there any way to give cirtain computers in a LAN an internet connection priorety over the others?

·
Global Moderator
51,341 Posts
I think LinkSys has some new firmware that has QoS capability on some of their routers. This allows you to give priority to specific IP addresses.

·
Global Moderator
51,341 Posts
Buy a router or buy something like NetLimiter, personally, I'd buy the router.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.