Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a desktop running XP with newly installed ultra high speed internet.

I have a netgear wireless router.

I have a laptop with a d-link wireless card.
Just before I installed the new high speed, my wireless network stopped working.

I had my nephew install it and saw no need for him to show me how it works, since it worked well and he lived close.

However, he has since went to Regina.

I now need to try to understand how to get it running again.

I am not computer stupid, but I am network stupid.

Would anyone be interested in telling me what to try and what I should see on each computer and how to get it up and running again?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Vicki Brown

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,618 Posts
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
Make and model of the router.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make/model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

On any problem computer, I'd also like to see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I guess this is the wrong place for me to ask.

I don't know the answer to half of those questions.

By, "I am not computer stupid", I guess I should have added, not working with the programs. On tech stuff, I am not so great.

Any suggestions for where I can go for help?

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a desktop running XP with newly installed ultra high speed internet.

I have a netgear wireless router.

I have a laptop with a d-link wireless card.
Just before I installed the new high speed, my wireless network stopped working.

I had my nephew install it and saw no need for him to show me how it works, since it worked well and he lived close.

However, he has since went to Regina.

I now need to try to understand how to get it running again.

I am not computer stupid, but I am network stupid.

Would anyone be interested in telling me what to try and what I should see on each computer and how to get it up and running again?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Vicki Brown

I think you need to reset all of your Modem and the wireless router. If that doesn't work, you might have to re-install the wireless router again into the desktop computer. Try that first.:pray:

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,618 Posts

By, "I am not computer stupid", I guess I should have added, not working with the programs. On tech stuff, I am not so great.

You can't look at the label and get the make/model of the modem and router? You don't know if it's wired or wireless? You don't know the make/model of your computer?

If you can't find out that information, I'm not sure where I'd refer you for help. :4-dontkno

If you provide us no useful information, how do you expect us to provide you with solutions?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My router is a Netgear connected to my desktop, but is supposed to run wireless to my laptop.

The model number is WGR614V6 as far as I can tell. There are alot of numbers on it. None of which are identified as the model.

My computer was built for me from various sources. I can tell you it has a Celeron 3.2; 3.19 Ghz.

My XP is professional 2002 SP2.

I am not sure how to reset it the router or the modem.

Is it something I do on the router or on the computer.

Sorry, I really am not much help.

Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
Vicki,

I want to let you know that I can surely empathize with anyone who is 'network stupid'. I've worked with computers for 15 years. I've formatted hard drives, replaced CD-ROM drives, installed Ethernet cards, etc. And, I can't count the number of times that I've helped family and friends solve their computer problems.

Yet, when I decided a few months ago to set up a wired/wireless home network, I was at a total loss. It took me weeks to figure everything out on my own.

You could begin by going to http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101209.asp where you will find some troubleshooting steps for your NetGear wireless router. However, even those steps may be overwhelming for you. If so, your best bet may be to call your ISP and see if they can talk you through re-establishing your connection.

Hope this at least gives you a starting point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.