Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject topic suggests I have a problem with heat inside my PC. I know this because my processor has ABS II or something which is a system that will shut down the computer when it reaches a certain temperature to prevent it being frazzled.

Thats all well and good but just lately with the increase in hot weather, it has been rebooting on quite a frequent basis and always when I am playing a game. It is exceptionally annoying when the PC then has to run through a scandisk before telling me it has recovered from a serious error when I get back to the desktop.

Unfortunately it doesnt seem possible to disable the ABS II. I can alter the settings in the bios setup which range from 75 degrees centigrade (default) to 100 degrees centigrade. I have gradually increased it through 75, 80, 85 and it currently resides at 90 degrees centigrade. I darent alter it any higher to 95 or 100 degrees. To be quite honest Im not sure the processor is supposed to be reaching those kinds of temperatures.

Is this sort of temperature abnormally high? Im not sure how hot these things are supposed to be. How hot does everyone else's get?

I have been considering checking out the thermal pad and either getting it replaced or I could use the silcone heatsink paste I have. I am a bit concerned about doing this though as I get a bad feeling I will make matters worse.

Would doing this help my problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AMD XP Athlon 2000+
Soltek DRV5 Motherboard
512mb DDR
3D Blaster4 TI4400 128mb DDR
SBLive
Windows XP Professional

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You have a SERIOUS issue if you're reaching the kinds of temperatures you are talking about, regardless of what the room temperature is!

First off, I'd remove the case side and see if that reduces the temperatures any. There are two elements to cooling the machine, both the case temperature, and the processor running temperature. The circulation through the case can significantly affect the processor temperature.

You should investigate all the fans and vents to make sure they're all functional and not blocked or dirty.

I find that having several exhaust fans as opposed to intake and exhaust fans seems to work better. The exhaust fans should be high in the case for tower systems, since that's where the hot air tends to want to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, thanks for replying!

Ever since I got the TI4400, Ive always ran my PC with both sides off the case the only thing I could try there is running it with them on and Im not so sure that will help the situation.

I have a tower case and it only has 3 fans inside.
One is attached to the power supply unit at the top and the other is attached to the heatsink, which as you know covers the processor and there is also one on the video card itself.

My PC is on pretty much all day everyday unless I go out and leave it downloading. In which case it shuts itself down when the downloads have been completed. The tower sits on a bench at the side of my monitor and I have set up a 12 inch deskfan that is constantly blasting air onto the motherboard from the side. This does seem to help but could it be making things worse?

What about using the thermal compound or getting a thermal pad for the heatsink? Could that help?

I noticed someone on the board embedded an image in one of their posts showing the temperature of their CPU from within a Windows application. As far as I know Windows doesnt have a feature that monitors CPU temperature and the only way I am able to check is from within the bios. I sent him a private message and he gave me a link so Im currently trying to get that downloaded. I should then be able to keep more of an eye on how hot things get.

Thanks again for your reply :)

AMD XP Athlon 2000+
Soltek DRV5 Motherboard
512mb DDR
SBLive
Windows XP Professional

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Since your MB offers temperature sensing, you should have gotten a utility CD with it, and the temperature monitor utility is on that CD.

If you have no thermal compound, BY ALL MEANS, get some and properly install the HS! This is the first step I'd take!

If you have no case fans, I'd certainly invest in a couple if you have slots for them in the back of the case, it makes a significant difference in cooling.

The desk fan is probably helping, since what you're trying to do is move air past the components. I've used that method as a stopgap when I had a problem PC. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opened up my PC and decided to have a look. First of all I noticed nothing but masses of dust and lint between the heatsink and fan so I separated the two and cleaned them both. Then I cleaned up the old thermal pad from the heatsink and processor and applied the heatsink paste I bought. It was very awkward to get it back together since the retention clip did nothing but annoy me but I managed it eventually. I then connected it all back up and started the machine. Went straight into the bios and the temperature was reading 50 degrees Celcius. I watched it as it slowly rose upto 57 degrees at which point I quit out and started up Windows.

At this time it is hard to tell if what I have done will solve the problem. I have no doubt that it probably helped however. I guess Ill just have to run it for a few days and monitor the CPU. I plan on getting some extra fans but I dont quite see how the fix onto the chassis.

You were right about the motherboard disc. I installed something called ITE Smart Guardian but it doesnt make any sense. It is what I wanted as it shows the temperature of the CPU and the speed of the fans but it came with no instructions and all it does as soon as I start it up, is make some noise from the internal pc speaker that sounds constantly. I have attached an image of it.

By the way what is HS?
I quote you from your previous message ...
"If you have no thermal compound, BY ALL MEANS, get some and properly install the HS!"

Thanks again for your reply.

AMD XP Athlon 2000+
Soltek DRV5 Motherboard
512mb DDR
SBLive
Windows XP Professional

Attachments

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
HS is heatsink. You could boil water on whatever component is hooked up to the second sensor, it's well over the boiling point.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
201 c?

omfg, you gotta figure that out before it kills your machine. and to answer your last private message headshot...

it is going to sound stupid of me to say this, but i downloaded and installed fresh diagnose onto another machine, and i couldnt get it to show me the temps, and again on another machine, but it still shows temps on my asus motherboard.

so i am not sure it is going to work for you.

but really if there is something in your machine running at 201 celcius, then you should be scared.

you might think off adding a fan that blows onto the motherboard.

i did that, and it eliminated my entire problem.

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Go to AIDA32 and download the Enterprise version of AIDA32. Among many other things, it has an excellent motherboard monitoring capability.

I suspect that the 201C reading means that the sensor is not connected to that channel, I have one channel on a system that in the melting solder range, but I don't believe it. :D:D:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys. I think I may have solved my heat problem, at least the serious part of it anyways. After I cleaned out the fans and vents and remounted the heatsink with fresh thermal paste I went into the bios and the CPU temperature was reading 50 celsius as I said. I then watched it increase to 57 celsius before quitting out and starting Windows.

I played a game that I normally play and which normally sends the CPU temperature upto my limit which is currently 90 celsius. I was in the game for an hour before I had to go out and do other everyday things. Before I went out, I rebooted the machine and checked the CPU temperature. It was only 62 celsius which isnt much of an increase at all from 57 degrees!

I left the PC on for the past 20 odd hours downloading and I got back this morning and checked the bios and reads 60 celsius. The absolute minimum I can set the AntiBurn System to is 75 celsius so I figure I got it stablized but for extra cooling, I am still considering more fans in the case. How do the fans fit? Do I need exhaust fans or what? My knowledge is very minimal in this area.

bob vila ... I guess the CPU temperature feature of Fresh Diagnose must work with certain motherboards or something but thats okay. Thanks for your help with it :)

johnwill ... I think you must be right about that sensor not being connected up. Every time I check it, it reads 201 celsius even after just booting up the PC. If something was running at 201 celsius, surely it would be melted by now and I would notice? I am downloading AIDA32 at the moment and I will report back when I have installed and looked it over. Thanks for your replies :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The optimum placement of the case fans will depend on what provisions are available for them, as well as the style of case. In tower cases, my preference is for exhaust fan(s) up high. I don't set much stock in inlet fans, since I have experienced then having a negative effect, rather than a positive one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont know a great deal at all about case fans and the types available but I can tell you I have a FOX tower case. I will have to do some research into case fans. I managed to download and install AIDA32. I have to say Im rather impressed with the amount of information this application provides me with. This is the information given to me within the sensor window.

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8705F
Sensor Access ISA 290h

Temperatures
Aux 47 °C (117 °F)

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.78 V
+2.5 V 2.48 V
+3.3 V 3.23 V
+5 V 4.84 V
+12 V 12.67 V
+5 V Standby 4.97 V
VBAT Battery 3.15 V

Is this the temperature of the motherboard or processor? I am guessing AUX is auxilary but can I see both with AIDA32?

AMD XP Athlon 2000+
Soltek DRV5 Motherboard
512mb DDR
SBLive
Windows XP Professional

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
oops

i may have said previously that i used fresh diagnose to get my temp readings and that someone else sent me to it.

i was wrong...

they sent me to adia32

and it is what i used, and it works good.

~BoB~

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats okay dude. We are after all, only human :)

AMD XP Athlon 2000+
Soltek DRV5 Motherboard
512mb DDR
SBLive
Windows XP Professional

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey wow I have become an enthusiast!! :)

I joined an AIDA32 board to ask why I was unable to see CPU and Motherboard temperatures in the program. I sent a report of my system to the moderator who I think may also be the developer of AIDA32! He looked through the SMBus dump which was like lines and lines of code I think and spotted a certain sensor. He then updated the AIDA32 download to support that sensor on my motherboard! A clever guy indeed!
The result is I can now view THREE temperatures!
Check'em out! :)

AMD XP Athlon 2000+
Soltek DRV5 Motherboard
512mb DDR
SBLive
Windows XP Professional

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
johnwill ...
I do plan on getting some fans and maybe a better heatsink as I said but considering my PC is never off, is it really THAT high?
I heard anything below 75 degrees celsius wasn't too bad and thus far, the highest mine has ever been is 63 degrees celsius.
What do you think it should be?

shawnbowski ...
I have some thermal compound. I cleaned up what was left of the old thermal pad from the heatsink and processor and have remounted it with fresh compound. I appreciate the suggestion but I did it already :)

Thanks for the replies.

AMD XP Athlon 2000+
Soltek DRV5 Motherboard
512mb DDR
SBLive
Windows XP Professional

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It really depends on where the temperature is measured, but I know if mine gets past about 55C, I'm looking for solutions! I personally believe that 63C is too high, and many folks experience crashes when they get near those temperatures. My AMD 1700+ (overclocked to 2400+) runs 24/7, and has never crashed, and it also never gets past the low 50's as far a processor temperature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well for now I am happy as long as it stays in the low 60's. I think if I can sort out some extra case cooling, I may be able to bring the temperature down to 40 - 50 degrees which will be somewhat closer to 'normal' :)

Thanks for your reply.

AMD XP Athlon 2000+
Soltek DRV5 Motherboard
512mb DDR
SBLive
Windows XP Professional

·
Registered
5 Posts
this might be a long shot but it turned out to be my problem in the end.
I recently went through a similar situation with temperature problems that your going through (though not nearly as hot as the 70's) but I updated my bios and that rectified the unusually high temperature readings. Your temps might be wrong cause in all fairness that processor should have died a long time ago give how hot you've supposedly run it. But, its just a suggestion. And of course be careful when you do your flashing so you don't have another problem on your hands

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.