Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, lets start and get this out the way im pretty newbie at this stuff :tongue:.was wanting advise on upgrading a new graphics card, i know it got to be compatable with my motherboard or something like that.i have a NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE running on it now.
i game alot and i want something with some sweet graphics in maybe to run high quality on COD4 or Crysis. im looking around a price range of 130-150 pounds.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
The GeForce 7500LE was an OEM PCIe card for HP, Gateway, and Fujitsu. There are plenty of cards out there that will play those games but you will also need a new power supply to support the new card which will likely take you over your budget.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ahh i see whats wrong with the one i have at the moment,and how much does a power supply cost?.On an average,how much would i be looking to spend if i was wanting medium-high graphics on COD4? i know i can run low,but that aint enough really?

Thanks

·
Just hanging around
4,906 Posts
the 7500's still pretty good, it's as fast (on dx9) as mid-end 8-series cards. why would you want to upgrade? anyway, i would recommend a ge-force 8500, the 512 version costs $80 US (around... 50-60 pounds?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well i wanna play some games like Crysis on High graphics and cod4.but if iwas to get the 8500 i would still need a new power supply then eventually want the new 8800 GTX or whatever is new, im sure that 8500 geforce only covers DX9 games,correct if im wrong?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
the 7500's still pretty good, it's as fast (on dx9) as mid-end 8-series cards. why would you want to upgrade? anyway, i would recommend a ge-force 8500, the 512 version costs $80 US (around... 50-60 pounds?)
Actually the 7500 is based on the 7300 core but has two disabled pipelines making it about as good as a 6200 if not worse. For the price of a 512MB 8500GT you can get a 256MB 8600GT which will be much faster.

You should be able to play Crysis at medium-high detail with an 8800GT and a good power supply like the one I posted.

·
Just hanging around
4,906 Posts
umm... the 8500 does support DX10 graphics. and: don't believe PC reviewers saying that you can only play games only with ultra-high-end cards (like the 8800, or 7900) and machines. My system runs games on high graphics detail quite well on MINIMUM system requirements, sometimes even below (with slightly reduced performance, but still runs really well). Some actually sounded surprised when PC magazine released a "budget" $1200 light gaming system. Also: don't believe the direct retail prices either. You can get the part usually for as little as HALF the listed price. Using Tigerdirect, i've managed to plan a system with 4GB RAM, quad core CPU, SLI graphics, 600W SLI-certified power supply, 250GB Hard drive, etc all for $950, INCLUDING shipping (all the way to Canada!), handling, and taxes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yer i know what u mean beefers dude. so what wattage power supply am i looking at so i can price some up? also i think i will price up a 8600GT aswel.i appreciate the info from u guys ,i feel a lot more confident on what im going for now.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Just hanging around
4,906 Posts
no problem. about the power supply, if you're just going to run a single card, 350W should be adequate. but if you ever plan to set up an SLI config, i would say... at least 550W. also: take into consideration that shipping to England would cost a lot more than to Canada, so your price will probably be slightly higher. And: if you skip on fancy bells and whistles, you'll get a system that would perform exactly the same internally, but cost a lot less. by bells and whistles, i mean LED's, lights, flashy designs, etc. The second one you listed looks pretty nice. also: what're your current system specs? post them so we can give you some more detailed suggestions. btw, you can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Initially a 350W will do, but if you want the power supply to last more than 2 or three years, get at least a 550W unit especially with the 8800GT.

·
Just hanging around
4,906 Posts
in my opinion, it's not always a good idea to attempt to get something to last as long as possible, as by then, getting a new computer is probably going to be cheaper than "future-proofing" now.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
It really depends on how much you plan to upgrade. If you have a custom built computer then you can upgrade almost anything throughout the years and keep the power supply and case while you do things like motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrades or video card upgrades. Because of industry standardization, it is often not required to "replace the computer" so to speak because you can keep one or two components even if it is the case or power supply. Since the power supply is an industry standard component it can be replaced or transfered to another computer along with the new video card. If another upgrade is planned later though that is known about now and the power supply will not accommodate it then I would switch to one that has a lower power output for less money or save up for one that will handle the one way in the future. However a good quality power supply can last >4 years so keep that in mind. It is all based around how much money you want to spend now versus how much you can spend later.

·
Just hanging around
4,906 Posts
right. the case and power supply i understand, but most of the upgrades you listed require entirely new parts. for example, upgrading the motherboard requires upgrading other parts (or there would be no point!), and upgrading other parts often need a mobo upgrade, or a ram upgrade, etc for it to work efficiently. so you would eventually be replacing the whole system anyway. but i suppose that can work, if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well im getting more ram,hopefully i will get 1gb more so 2bg should hopefully do it,correct if im wrong? and i have never heard of mobo i take it is something to do with the mother board.

·
Just hanging around
4,906 Posts
mobo is motherboard. also: 1gb should be enough for most tasks, but if your budget allows, by all means upgrade to 2gb. it will prove beneficial.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have just bought 1gb so i have 1536,and im planning to goto to 3gb.i have a pc tower case ready for me.just need my power supply and G.Card 8800gt.do i need anything updated or upgraded to my mobo?

Thanks

James

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.