Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with Flash Drive!

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
I just bought a Realtek 4 GB Flash drive. It says it is compatible with both windows 7 and vista. I use it at the library, using windows 7. I save a few articles on it. I try to use it on my laptop, which has vista and it doesn't work. It says that it has been installed, it even makes that noise when I put it in and take it out. Nothing pops up for it to open. It does not show up in "my computer" After a few moments the "safely remove" icon thing disappears. I've tried looking everywhere.
I've tried this

1. (Ensure that you have connected your USB device ),then Got To : "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Computer Management"
2.On the left hand side of the "Computer Management Explorer" select "Disk Management" you should see your removable storage device in the list with the same letter as your mapped network drive.
3.Do right button on your removable drive and choose "Change Drive Letter or Paths..." and assign different letter.

That is all, go back to "My Computer" and the drive should be there. Next time you connect it, it will pop-up with a newly assigned letter.

But I don't see the device at all!

Help!

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't understand... I can see that it is there but I cannot use it. I understand that it is under E and I also have RECOVERY under E as well and that may not work. That is why I was going to change the letter, but I do not see the device when I go to Disk Management.

Please tell me how to make it usable.

#4 ·
You cant have two drives with the letter E the usb flash should be F as recovery drive normally D and DVD drive E depends on computer brand and there setup.

In disk managemnet is the usb flash drive not listed?

#5 ·
No it is not listed, and I do not want to change what is already on my computer, because it tells me some programs will not work. I can use this flash drive on any other computer and it works, for some reason it won't work on my own laptop. When I go to disk management I see what's in the picture.

When I plug my flash drive into another computer it uses the letter E. I don't know if that helps?

I really have no clue what my problem is :(

I have Dell Inspiron 1545

Attachments

#6 ·
1. (Ensure that you have connected your USB device ),then Got To : "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Computer Management"
2.On the left hand side of the "Computer Management Explorer" select "Disk Management" you should see your removable storage device in the list with the same letter as your mapped network drive.
3.Do right button on your removable drive and choose "Change Drive Letter or Paths..." and assign different letter.

That is all, go back to "My Computer" and the drive should be there. Next time you connect it, it will pop-up with a newly assigned letter.

Did you change any Drive letters at all? In the past?

#8 ·
Have you tried seeing if the Flash Drive shows up in Device Manager

Go to Start right click on "Computer" click on device manager and see if the Flash Drive is located under Drives, removable Media, or USB (Which is near the bottom).

Also look in USB Hubs or USB Generic controllers and see if there is any Yellow marks with exclamation marks?

#9 ·
Hi, no windows will not allocate two drives the same letter so you do not need to change drive letters. The reason you see E drive in another computer is windows allocates drives alphabetically and E would have been this. In your computer as Corday say's it is most likely allocated F.

Now as it is not being recognized this means the inf is not being read this is controlled by the infcache1 file. We need to take ownership of this file copy it to desktop then delete it from C:\windows\System32\driverstore.

Follow the instructions here:-

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/asking-the-pros-616771.html#post3539357

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.