Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding a Dell E1705 laptop.

I rececntly acquired this laptop and it is, for the most part, in pretty good condition, with one exception. It has a bad video card which I understand is pretty common to these laptops due to overheating conditions. When I plug it in and hit the power button, the power, battery and number lock light all come on and the DVD drive spins up, but, there is no posting at all. I think I hear two short beeps, but, I would have to try it once again to confirm that.

I was told there is a discrete video card in it, either a Nvidia or an ATI and that it can be replaced. The guy I got it from told me something about baking it in an oven, or something like that and he got it workng for a while, but, it was temporary at best.

My main question is what kind of video card do I need to put in to replace the bad one. I am having a lot of trouble finding information about mobile video cards. What is the name ot the interface? Do I have more than one or two choices, or can I use any card, so long as it fits in the case and the connector? The original factory replacement card is very expensive on Ebay. I don't care about high speed graphics, just as long as I can see the screen and play DVDs, check e-mail, etc.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Takkat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.