Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help in figuring out how to copy a whole bunch of files from a directory tree to a single directory. I looked at all the xcopy switches, but none of them look like they will do what I want it to do. If I use the /S switch, it will keep the directory structure. Any ideas?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do you have XP up & started? Why not just go into explorer, highlight all you need (CTRL + A to highlight everything), copy & paste?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because it would copy the directories. I need to take all the files that are scattered throughout a directory tree and lump them all into 1 directory.

·
Registered
227 Posts
oohhh "whole bunch of files from a directory tree to a single directory" implies copying the tree

anyways, hmm, yeah xcopy can't do that, but what you CAN do is right click on this perticular directory (the folder itself, and then go to Search). In the Search (wait wait this is XP, in this part, you click "All folders & files" or something like that). Then under the file to search for you put *

Then let the search finish, and look at the top, above the files, there's fields that you can sort the results by, find the one that says "type" (shows up in Windows 2000), and click it, this will sort by the file type, and all the folders will be listed FIRST. You get to where the files start after the folders, and highlight all them, copy & paste into the single directory of your choice

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.