Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just updated my system with an Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe mobo, Pentium 4 3Ghz CPU and PCI-E GFX card...

Everything went together well until it came to pluging my DVD writer, CD writer and 2 IDE HDDs in. The board only has 1 primary IDE connector unlike my old dying/dead mobo which had 2. Presently im writing this thread on my system with only a DVD writer and one of my HDDs plugged in. I do intend to get some SATA drives but had hoped 2 plug my other drive into 1 of the 2 IDE RAID connectors as a temporary option. Upon plugging in the drive, with the BIOS set for IDE operation of the IDE RAID connectors, theres no sign of the 2nd HDD on the 'Main' page in the BIOS yet it shows on the 'Boot' menu under hard drive/hard disks. As both of my HDDs were bootable (Win 2000 n XP Pro) i do intend on having my system back the way it was previously, tho with XP on SATA drives n 2000 on an IDE drive.

My overall plan is to setup a RAID 1 array with 2 SATA drives and copy my XP Pro IDE drive to it. I was then gonna reconnect the DVD writer n CD writer to the Primary IDE and connect my intended Win 2000 drive to the IDE RAID connector (set to IDE operation) and hopefully have XP Pro n 2000 OS to use. However im not fully sure how things will work..

Was just looking whether anyone has a similar setup and has followed this path or has advice to offer with regards to my setup..

Any help appreciated greatly...

Rob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the detect device time was set as standard.

I also realised that when both HDDs were connected to an IDE RAID connector, just one of many things i tried, the system booted n when it said 'scanning for IDE drives' both drives showed in the drive list in slots 0 and 1, after that the system reset. But upon trying to install windows to either of the drives by booting from the CD-ROM only told me that no HDDs were connected.

I have my XP Pro HDD set now and Intend on installing 2000 fresh onto the other HDD (hopefully able to boot from the IDE RAID connector)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.