Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this problem for a long time now, and I've exhausted all of my abilities to determine the cause. When I restart or coldboot my desktop PC, it takes about 2 minutes to get past the windows startup/loading personal settings screen, then takes me to where it loads the desktop. At this point I can see my desktop picture, but no task bar/start menu at the bottom, and no icons. It doesn't sound like there is anything happening with the computer during this time, but if I leave it be for about 25 minutes it will eventually complete the startup process. This, of course, is very frustrating!:upset:

When it first occurred, I chose the "last known good config" option, same problem. I did a system restore back to a point prior to recent changes, problem still existed. I can start in safe mode, which still takes a bit long. I have now started with bootlog and have that file. There are a whole bunch of drivers on there that haven't loaded, and I'm wondering if this is the problem. Would someone be able to have a look at that file for me to maybe give me some insight?

Oh, and I have run my Norton anti-virus which came up clean, as well as Spybot S&D, and Trendmicro HouseCall, which both came up clean also.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to launch chkdsk /f as instructed, and got the following message "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? Y/N". I choose Y, and then close the dos prompt and restart, and it never runs. I tried running it from the properties-tools tab of the c: drive, and I get another message saying that it couldn't run because it needs access to some exclusive Windows files, and again asks me if I want to schedule it to run next startup. This doesn't work either. I checked the scheduled tasks to see if it was setup there to run but it's not listed. I even tried to schedule it to run manually, but it's not available in the list.

I would proceed with doing the repair option, but my computer never came with a Windows Boot CD. Could I use the recovery console on my partition for this purpose?

Thanks again....Trish

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so just for fun I tried running chkdsk again and then restarted, and it actually ran. It didn't give me any messages that there were any errors, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not. Either way, nothing got fixed. It's still painfully slow to start. Aaarrrgggghhhh!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to try the startup troubleshooter (which didn't help at all last time) and it suggested looking at the msconfig-services section. By trial and error I've determined that the service "server" is what is causing my problem, so I've disabled it.

I'm now wanting to know what this service is for and if there is an issue with disabling this permanently?

thanks--Trish

·
Registered
63 Posts
have you tried adding more memory? all newer pc's should have at least 512mb if not more. windows xp needs 256mb just for itself, not including the rest of the programs installed on your pc.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Enter your device manager to check on any yellow alerts.
control panel>system>hardware>device manager
In there, click view, then click show hidden devices
It appears as if some device drivers arent loading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good morning! I'm going to answer the last three questions in one response:

1. What Security Software Installed? - Norton Antivirus, Spybot S&D (also have a router/hardware firewall.

2. How much memory do I have? - 512 MB

3. Check Device Manager for yellow alerts. I did this and found three under the heading "Non Plug & Play....". These are: mrtRate, nVidia WDM A/V Crossbar & nVidia WDM Video Capture.

Should I try to resolve these, or is it okay to leave them as is?

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I have disabled the "Server" service on startup, and it seems to have solved the slow startup problem...at least somewhat. It's not superfast to start, but only takes around 4 minutes instead of 30, which is great. I'm going to keep it disabled and see if it causes anything not to function.

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Sounds like progress.
But any conflict in the device manager isnt optimal for your system.
Try to remove the yellow conflict and or download the correct driver.
Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.