Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an older Dell XPS Gen 2 series, 3Ghz, 2gb ram, SATA 120GB drive. It was working fine this morning, but after a restart, windows would give me UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_ERROR when Windows was loading. So, I went into setup, found my hard drive, computer was recognizing it from there. I rebooted, and tried again.. same error. I got my windows xp CD, put it in the drive, booted to the disk and tried a repair. I got an error saying that windows could not find a hard disk installed on my PC. I turned everything off, checked my cables and power, hooked it all back up, turned the computer on and had the error again. So I then attempted to install windows OVER the previous partition, but again, Windows cannot find a hard disk installed on your computer. Any help with fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated, as I really can't afford a new system right now and would love to save this one if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the drive itself is pooched, why can I pull all my data off of it when it is set to slave in another computer? *scratches head*

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Any other suggestions on what to try/look for/fix? I can't do a windows install/repair at all, it insists I have no drive, but I see it in Setup. What else should I check? How can I eliminate things?

·
Registered
115 Posts
is the drive making any type of clicking sound?

its possible that it can still be pooched even if you can see it as a slave

on my network here we always run into drives that wont boot or mount properly but norton ghost can still see them and backup the data before we replace them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem for me is I can't afford to replace the damn thing. No clicking noises, nothing, I can see all my data, I just can't load the OS off of it nor replace/repair it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
also, it seems you're talking about the automated recovery process

have you tried entering the actual recovery console?

they're 2 different things

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Edit: I used a second hard drive to attempt to load from there, and I am getting the same exact problem with the second drive. Unmountable_boot_ volume and the drive reads in Setup but not otherwise. My question is this.. could my BIOS need resetting to defaults? Could this be a problem with my overall configuration that could be fixed if the BIOS was reset, and if so, how would I do that?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Edit: I used a second hard drive to attempt to load from there, and I am getting the same exact problem with the second drive. Unmountable_boot_ volume and the drive reads in Setup but not otherwise. My question is this.. could my BIOS need resetting to defaults? Could this be a problem with my overall configuration that could be fixed if the BIOS was reset, and if so, how would I do that?

loading bios to default settings is no big deal and shouldnt harm anything

there is usually an option to load the default settings on one of the screens in your bios...usually the last one where you have all the exit and save options

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help :) We've figured out that my drive is shot and that we were using the incorrect connector for the second drive, which was causing the same error but for a different reason. I've ordered a new (and better) drive to replace the old one for a reasonable price, and I hope that will resolve my issue. I've been able to pull MOST of the data off my old drive, but am having trouble with certain pieces. Thankfully most of my important data is fine. Thanks again and I appreciate you taking the time to help me :)

-tere

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.