Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Total lay person here. I have Micro Trend virus software. I just moved into a new apt that has their "own" internet service via a T1 or T3 Line (cant remember) well I fired it up- just plug ethernet into wall via my computer. I get a message within 30 minutes, and have been getting the same alert---"Unknown computers are connected to your computer". They list 50-70 IP addresses w/ Mac addresses. Each new set starts w/ 199. or 10. something. I am on my work lap top now and it have norton on it and I have not had any warnings with this lap top. I am afraid to use my personal PC.

What do I do? This place does not have a network admin. I am at this point seriously considering getting Verizon Wireless Broadband and just trashing this service. I am uncoomfortable with this mom and pop stuff and not being computer savy does not help. Long story short...I dont know what IP address out of these lists are safe vs. harmful. :4-dontkno I hope I gave enough info.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a small suggestion here that would cost less if you are getting internet for free.

Get a Router...I prefer Linksys but get what you will just something with a built in firewall. Hook it up to the network and then hook into that. More than likely they will not be able to get through unless they are good. And if they are good enough to get through then you wouldn't know they are there.

Just a suggestion though. We are all looking to save a buck. And this way you could set up a wireless and put some WEP encription or WPA on there and be very secure just make sure you Mask your SSID.

If you have any questions about networking might want to check out the Networking forum to see what others have done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hope this helps!

I've been experience the exact problem as you, I also am using an ethernet connection. Just contacted Trend Micro about this and they told me that the PC-cillin settings were incorrect for my computer and thus the IP addresses being picked up are simply server computers etc. To fix this problem - Open Trend Micro, go to Network Security>Wifi Intrusion Detection and untick the "Automatically Detect Computers connected to the network".

I hope this helps, it was freaking me out a bit too... I wish Trend would change their defaults... Let me know how you go!

Regards
Naomi :smooch:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.