Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there..........im a first time poster, so please bear with me.............I have a compaq presario V5000 notebook..........and i am having a serious slowness problem that cannot be explained or troubleshooted by "experts"........Ive tried eveything from reinstalling all drivers...........running virus scans...........spyware scans.........there is no virus or spyware or adware on my system.........however when i look at my processes in my task manager, i am always running at or near 100% and this is with apporx 35-36 processess running...........i have looked up all processes and eliminated those that are not neccessary.........ive also eliminated all non important startup processes........ive also run the disk clean up a defrag processes and still no noticable speed increase

I am beyond frustrated with this.........i have a long startup time as well as all media seems to be skipping .............it is almost impossible to multi task and if i need to use outlook i have to close all other programs..........this problem seems to be affecting my battery life as well as i only get approx 1hr with my ac power unplugged

any assistance i can get would be greatly appreciated..............

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
systemidel process seems to be at the top most of the time..............other than that unsvc.exe........avgw.exe......lsass.exe......those are the only ones that seem to be using cpu

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can someone please help with this.............i know im probably not giving all the exact information...........however this is such a frustrating issue for me...........please if you can help, let me know exactly what information is required to diagnois and hopefully i can have this frsutrating issue resolved

·
Registered
243 Posts
systemidel process seems to be at the top most of the time..............other than that unsvc.exe........avgw.exe......lsass.exe......those are the only ones that seem to be using cpu
typically 'system idle' uses most of the cpu. Are these using like 60 - 90% of cpu?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
system idle seems to run in the 90's most of the time.............any other process seems to run between 0-10...........

·
Registered
243 Posts
What programs did you use to scan for virus's and spyware? Looks like you used avg for one. That program is not all that good. I just had to reformat because some trojans got in that it couldn't find. I now use Kaspersky...

·
Registered
243 Posts
make sure your 'indexing service' and messenger service are not running.

I goota run the realtor just called be back later....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks for your help macten..............im not sure what you mean by indexing service.........im gonna assume by messenger you mean any IM client like Windows Live

·
Registered
243 Posts
How old is the laptop and when is the last time you blew the dust out? I'm wondering if dust, lint etc has got it plugged up, causing it to overheat and perhaps causing this slowness. I know that if a P4 overheats it will automatically slow down to protect itself. Can you still hear the exhaust fan come on? Even if dust is not causing it, I would blow it out. Here's the link:

(you'll have to click on the 'X' to clear the ad...

http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60300177&pgno=1&queryText=

·
Registered
243 Posts
to get to services: right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'. Expand 'services and applications' and select 'services'. Make sure that neither the 'indexing service or 'messenger service' is running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok...........both indexing service and meesenger service have already been disabled............i dont really have any games..................could i try media (music video)?

·
Registered
243 Posts
on my W2000 box, I'll click 'start'>accesories>games. I can't remember if games is in your accesories folder or in 'programs'. But it's there. I usually play pinball awhile to test things out. Go into safe mode first...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry i am replying so late to this...........i am in safe mode now............things seem to be a bit faster...........however i dont have any games on my machiene............is there another litmus test we can try?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's something else to check. I'm on W2000, your XP should be similar. Go to:

control panel>system>hardware>device manager>

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>Primary IDE Channel and right click and select 'properties'. Then select 'Advanced Settings' and make sure you have selected 'DMA if available' for Transfer Mode. Also check for DMA for the secondary IDE controller.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok.........so on the Primary IDE Channel I have 2 devices.........

Device 0
Device Type: Auto Detection (this is greyed out)
Transfer Mode : DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode : PIO Mode

Device 1
Device Type: Auto Detection
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Not Available

On Secondary IDE Channel

Device 0
Device Type: Auto Detection ( this is greyed out)
Transfer Type:DMA if available
Current Transfer Type" Multiword DMA Mode 2

Device 1
Transfer Mode- DMA if Available
Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

is this correct?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok.........so on the Primary IDE Channel I have 2 devices.........

Device 0
Device Type: Auto Detection (this is greyed out)
Transfer Mode : DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode : PIO Mode

Device 1
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Not Available

On Secondary IDE Channel

Device 0
Device Type: Auto Detection ( this is greyed out)
Transfer Type:DMA if available
Current Transfer Type" Multiword DMA Mode 2

Device 1
Transfer Mode- DMA if Available
Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

is this correct?
looks good...back to the heat issue, did you blow it out with compressed air? I would keep it on a cooling pad. Are you keeping it on a perfectly flat surface allowing air to circulate under it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.