Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
many of my desktop Icons have become shortcut files and no longer open the programs. I tried to set the correct program to open it as default but all my desktop Icons change to this same program. Now I try to open those icons but they won't open. What do I do?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Blade and Jenae. I downloaded what you suggested but they wouldn't open. What do I do now?

Sorry I don't know much about computers..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rob, what you're describing is one of the nastiest problems known in Vista and Windows 7. A friend of mine had a similar problem and none of the freebies that he tried helped. He ended up downloading open applications fix which helped but didn't completely cure the problem. He then applied open shortcuts fix which totally solved the problem. I was impressed since this is the most thorough solution of this type I have seen.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He ended up downloading open applications fix which helped but didn't completely cure the problem. He then applied open shortcuts fix which totally solved the problem. I was impressed since this is the most thorough solution of this type I have seen.
OMG you saved my life. They worked! and saved me a lot of agony... thank you! What a great forum.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Hi, well you should not need to pay for this, the fix is the same, so I am concerned people will believe this is the solution and pay for it. If you were able to download an executable then you should have been able to run the .zip file (many have successfully). Just a note for others not to be caught paying for what you don't need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.