Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been trying to defrag then run scan disk in thorough and they keep restarting and won't ever finish. I have searched older threads and they said to restart the computer in MS-DOS mode or safe mode and start them there but what I don't know is what do I type in when I do that to start it? If someone could explain this to me as simple as possible I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

Kellie :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi cant help ya with win 98 --
on me me during boot at the logo screen press f8 kida tricky to hit it just right you'l get a menu .
to choose safe mode :confused: javascript:smilie(':winking:')

good holidays to you
Lon

Sure would like to put a .gif in here but cant

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats ok, I thank you for looking. I will figure it out yet, I am still searching. I just don't know much yet and feel so lost when any problem comes up. I'm learning, but very slowly. :D

You have Happy Holidays too. :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Cold start your PC (from being off). Wait until it says something in the upper left corner like "Starting Windows" or "Loading OS" and press F8. If it gets to the Windows 98 "Cloud" screen (if you haven't changed the boot screen) you missed and turn off your PC (it's ok) and start over.

You should get to a screen that says "Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu". Arrow down to "Safe Mode" and press enter.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Pseudocyber.

I will print this out and try this. I don't know what I did wrong but when I restarted I got a black sceen that was waiting for me to type in something and I had no idea what to do.

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to say this worked perfectly. I am all scanned and defraged now. :D

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
FYI, you can also boot directly to a DOS prompt from the F8 menu, and it's much quicker. You can run SCANDISK from there as well...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks johnwill,

I think I have shown how little I know already so I might as well go ahead and ask this. :D Is the DOS prompt the black screen that comes up where it is waiting for you to type something in? If so, what do I type in to start scandisk and defrag?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If you hit F8 during the boot, just before you see the "Starting W98", you'll get a menu to choose the boot mode. Choose "command prompt only" and you'll be at the dos screen. You can just type SCANDISK /? from there and get a help screen.

You can't run the standard DEFRAG from DOS, you have to be running Windows for that to function.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've never try it, but there is an app called somethings like "Kill All"
that kill all process so you don't have to restart in safe mode to do your defrag.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jonn, I didn't know what to type in. I'll save this for the next time I have trouble and with my luck that won't be too far off. :D

I'll search for that program Kataclysm, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.