Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting this warning on my MacBook Air 2017 (Mojave 10.14.6, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD).

"your disk is almost full save space by optimising storage."

About-->Storage shows 50 GB free space out of 121.1 GB (see screenshot). But my system files space comes to between 59.79 GB and 49.34 GB. This fluctuates every half a minute or so. There doesn't seem to be clear pattern. It likely happens after some time spent browsing. Or, perhaps when I press dismiss the warning.

This has been going on for some months now. I've freed up a decent bit of space (videos, bigger PDFs, uninstalled iMovie). But the warning is now coming on more frequently.

Something tells me this has to do with system files. I sync Photos through iCloud between my Mac and iPhone. I have Time Machine backups going back years. But I cleared these out by temporarily switching off backups. I also setup an older backup to be read on Outlook Mail.

Other than these I don't think there's much I've done to clog up system files. How do I set things back to normal? Could this lead to a system crash?

Thanks!

Attachments

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,278 Posts
Backing up with Time Machine to the same drive is pointless. If your SSD fails, how will you restore your backups? Get yourself an External USB HDD and move your Time Machine Backups to that drive and choose the new backup location to be that drive. Also, you can move your personal User files (ie) Documents, Pictures, Music etc to the external drive
But it's really time to upgrade to a larger SSD drive, and replace your 121 GB drive with one that is much larger like 512 GB or 1 TB, they have really come down in price.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Backing up with Time Machine to the same drive is pointless. If your SSD fails, how will you restore your backups? Get yourself an External USB HDD and move your Time Machine Backups to that drive and choose the new backup location to be that drive. Also, you can move your personal User files (ie) Documents, Pictures, Music etc to the external drive
But it's really time to upgrade to a larger SSD drive, and replace your 121 GB drive with one that is much larger like 512 GB or 1 TB, they have really come down in price.
Sorry, I was not clear in explaining the issue. I do backup on an external drive. I meant that I read that there are some kind of images of these external backups stored on the laptop. It seems they take up a good bit of space after some years of use. Switching off TM backups and then then switching them on again is supposed to clear them out.
I do want to eventually get a new SSD.
But for now, is there something I can do to significantly reduce this issue of low disk space?
Also, any ideas why it fluctuates every now and then?
Thanks!

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,572 Posts
Not being a Mac person, I can't say. OTOH, this doesn't sound like the reason you have the low storage warnings. If the system is showing you 50GB free, something else is amiss.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,278 Posts
To Clear TM Local Snapshots, choose to Stop backing up Automatically. TM will clear all Local Snapshots on your internal drive, then turn TM back on to start backing up again.
Here are some tips for creating more free space on a Mac 12 easy ways to free up space on Mac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts