Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first build and i connected the 1394 to the usb 2.0 port on my asus m3n78-vm mobo and i kept getting the blue screen of death ehen i installed drivers..comp ran fine in safe mode i got no bad beeps from mobo what should i do? should i rma mobo... reinstall windows and start over? could this have damaged my video card and or hdd or wireless pci card? or most importantly my cpu? plz help im so nervous:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
You mean you plugged a usb device in the 1394 port? If your not using
firewire, which I think thats what 1394 is, go into bios and disable
it. Not sure if you damaged anything but the mobo, if that, probably
didnt hurt anything else.
What is the blue screen error, what does it say?

·
Registered
45 Posts
when i built the computer i pluged the 1394 wire from the case into the usb prong on the mobo i get two main errors on the screen when i install drivers. after work i will paste them..i didnt plug anything into the firewire port all test say the mobo is good i dont get any bad beeps...all usb ports work

error code bccode:1000007e bcp1:ffffffff80000003 bcp2:fffff80001bc1ed8 bcp3:fffffa60027c2448 bcp4:fffffa60027c1e10 ----this is one of them, ill get the other in a minute

here is the other one--BCCode:3B, BCP1:00000000C0000420 BCP2:FFFFF80001AE79CB, BCP3:FFFFFA6007775CD0, BCP4:0000000000000000, OS VERSION:6_0_6002, SERVICE PACK:2_0, PRODUCT:256_1 -----These blue screens only happen when i try to install the drivers or utilities from my mobo cd or even the web sites..when the computer doesnt crash all windows operations start and stop working in a cycle..."internet explorer has stopped working, restarting".."windows sidebar has stopped working,restating".."windows security center has stopped working, restarting"----im no expert but it seems to me this is windows thats screwing up, not the drivers or hardware...tryed to wipe the drive clean with WD data lifegaurd tools and eraser.neither program will let me clear the hdd, i dont get that because they claim to erase it so you can recycle or sell your computer, but they wont clear my hdd???says these are "system files" they cant be erased. so how the hell to people use eraser to wipe the drive clean???please some help on clearing the drive would be great so i can try over because maybe windows installed with some corrupted files

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Codes like that are greek to me, unless there is description at the end, like
a driver or dll.
If you dont use firewire I would disable that in bios. Are you sure bios
is set up as per your hardware specs?
Do you have a mobo speaker so you can acutally hear beeps codes,
maybe one on the case..If so do you have any beeps at all at boot.
In safe mode go to device manager and look for red or yellow flags.

Do you have to boot to the tool, if so is boot order in bios set up
correctly.
If your not running a raid array is that disabled in bios...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im not running raid..i could tell you what its set to in one min

No yellow flags.. I get one beep during boot up which is supposed to be that everything is ok. My bios is all set to manufacturer default

ok boot sequence is 1st boot-floppy drive (but i dont have one). 2nd is wd hdd sata 2. 3rd is cd/dvd drive

there are 3 modes for storage: sata, raid, ahci (mine is set to sata)..dont see anything to disable firewire

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
You need to setup bios as per your system specs, default is not
optimum.
Take your floppy disk out of the boot order, set it to boot to cdrom
then hdd..Look through bios and make sure your settings are correct.
The western digital tool, is that a cd, and are you supposed to boot
to it? If so that is what I would do wipe the drive and start over.
By default bios will set your system to raid, and it will enable 1394
and alot of other things that are not necessary, and things that may
cause problems...

Firewire is the 1394 controller. You really should go through your manual
step by step. You need to treat sata like ide, there may or may not be
a setting in there for that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think there is. and the wd tool i dl from their website.it wont let me wipe the drive clean neither will eraser, any other suggestions on that?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
You should not be able to wipe the drive in windows. You need to boot
to it. Do a google for killdisk its free, that will wipe the drive. Im pretty
sure you can burn a bootable cd, beings how you have no floppy.
The wd tool should do it, cant figure out why is isnt working. Did you
set the boot order in bios, as previously mentioned? did you take
the floppy drive out of the order, beings how you dont have one, and
you should disable that.
What I mean by booting to it is this. Set boot order in bios.
Place the wd erase disk in cdrom tray. Save changes and exit bios.
Then you may or may not see a sentence to hit any key to boot from
cdrom. Then follow the prompts to erase the drive. If the wd erase
disk is supposed to work in windows, it would have to reboot sending
you in a dos enviornment....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont have the wd disc i bought oem. i put it on a usb flash drive from their web site and yes i changed boot seq and disabled floppy

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
You should have some sort of instruction as to how to run the program.
In bios you will have to set boot order to boot from the usb thumb
drive. Go back to the site you download the tool from and read directions.
But Im pretty sure you will have to boot to the thumb drive.
You cant boot to the thumb drive unless its in the boot order, that is
determined in bios.

·
Registered
45 Posts
bios wont let me set usb device to boot off of so i will burn iso to cd then set my boot seq to dvd/cd 1st..i downloaded killdisk

bios wont let me set usb to boot seq. i downloaded killdisk to my flash drive and im gonna burn the iso to a cd and then set boot sequence to cd/dvd as 1st

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Make the hdd the second boot device. Killdisk will take awhile, make
sure to let it finish. Once windows is installed the first thing to do would
be to install mobo drivers....

·
Registered
45 Posts
ok i just finished installing windows again..what if i install my drivers and this happens again? do you think this could be happening bc the included drivers arent compatable w 64bit sp2 cuz i dont even think sp2 is out yet

ok well that didnt work

ok well im installing dream linux to see if it is vista thats giving me problems..ill keep posting

Hi, i am running the free version of killdisk 5.0 on my hdd right now. i made a bootable cd and used that. the free version only lets you use the "rewrite zero method". i dont care about security, i just want to make sure that my OS and partitions will be gone (hope so). i know the data is still recoverable, but im not getting rid of it. just want my computer to see it as a new drive so i can clean install an os.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i f anyone knows if it will work like the way i stated, just let me know..ive built a pc and everythings great (untill i install windows vista 64bit ultimate sp2)..i guess thats what you get when you use an os thats not for sale yet...i am not experienced enough for betas...will never use one again, even though sp2 seems cool i cant go more than 10 min w/out getting the dreaded BSOD!!! Been working on this for three days with three hdd and three computers (macbook-for internet, dell-to make bootable discs, and my build which windows has made a nightmare..thanks MS!!) and switching the cd/dvd drive between two comps as well has hdd's.. swithing up three pairs of brand new ram for troubleshooting...running hotcpu all last night...this has been hell..i know its windows doing this

thank you..so happy to hear the good news.. thats another problem i had...eraser wouldnt work, wd data lifegaurd cd wont work in my dell or my build???which is weird bc both comps have vista and the WD booklet say "vista compatable"????very confused about that, would like to get it working as i am putting two wd hdd in my build

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
Re: Killdisk question

havent you seen the reports on the court cases over

vista ready on the front of the box

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello,

Try putting a hunt in the first holes vertical or no shunt in (WD HD only) just whichever way it is reverse it and see if the disc utility will work for HD. Ive havent had no problems with disc WD utility working, except for I had cd/drive rom on slave setting, it
must be on master from my experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.