Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some advice on selecting a new video card for an old PC. I’ve got an old PII Gateway 266 Mhz PC running W98 with about 160 MB of RAM that I’ve given to my son and he would like to run Lego Studios on it. However, Lego Studios requires DirectX compatibility, which the current 4 MB AGP graphics card does not support. I’ve tried putting in a GeForce4 MX440 64MB AGP card and had all kinds of trouble as soon as I tried adjusting the resolution (system would freeze-up immediately), then I tried a GeForce2 MX400 64MB AGP card and could the get the system to boot up and was able to run the application, but the card still caused my system to freeze-up periodically, usually 30 or 60 minutes after booting, and would happen in any types of applications (Word, Lego Studios, Warcraft, etc). I’ve talked with Gateway technical support and they suggested not going with anything larger than a 32 MB AGP card, then when I talked with Gateway sales dept, they recommended (after I explained my problems) going with a PCI card instead of an AGP since they said I only had a AGP 1 slot and the PCI card would be more stable. Up to now I’ve only tried Nvidia cards, would it make any sense to try a Radian? What do you guys think of the AGP vs PCI issue, and finally, what size should I be looking for? Again, I’m not looking to run any kind of high end games, just a few simple apps like Lego Studios. Thanks,

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
When I tried a Radeon 7000 PCI in my Gateway 2000 P5-120, it froze up. The Radeon 7000 is (I think) the lowest model Radeon still available for retail purchase, which is why I recommend you go on eBay to find an even lower model. The most decent low end card I can recommend to you is a 3DFX Voodoo3. Be aware that that company no longer exists and it would have no support and you'd have to do a bit of searching to find drivers for it, but it would suit your needs fine as it kept my games running perfectly until DirextX9 came and screwed everything up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Someone else recommended the 3DFX as well, and Gateway recommended the Riva TNT2 32 MB PCI card (which they have in stock). Of course Gateway was also the one that said I could put a GeForce4 MX440 AGP card in...so I'm not sure I totally trust them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't listen to Gainward.
They say anything to earn money.
A GF4 even if it is an mx is waay too advaanced for that computer of yours. I would recommend you search EBAY and look for at least a TNT 1 or a 3dfx2/3, but as mentioned before, these cards are so outdated there are little drivers for them

·
Registered
4 Posts
try a Vanta i think they come w/ 16 meg.

i ran a Vanta Lt w/ 8 meg for years on my oldest systems. they workgreat and i think u can pick 1 up for 10 bucks. i kid u not it is a great lil'card

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.