Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer screen suddenly turned black without me even touching it. Theres a little white lightblinking in upper left corner but I cant type anything at all. I shut it down and rebooted it but it just goes right back to that same black screen with blinking little white light in upper left corner. How can I fix this without losing my files? It's a dell btw. :sigh:

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
If that doesn't work, boot off of the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My computer didn't come with any disk and the safe mode option does not show after pushing f8 only f1 reboot option and f10 and f12 options appear. What to do now? :sigh:
BTW Thank you for replying.

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
Press F12 do you have an option to enter the Recovery Partition? If so, you can enter Recovery Partition here and restore the computer to factory defaults. If you want to save your data first use a Ubuntu Live CD and save your files to a USB Flash Drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I restarted tapping f8 then as soon as prompted to select either f1 reboot, f10 setup, f12 network I selected f12 as advised but all it did was direct me to a screen where my only option was to select f1 reboot. This only put me right back on the black screen with the little light blinking in the upper left corner again. :sigh: Please don't give up on me? :1angel:

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
You can download UBCD4WIn on a working computer. Install the program, and follow the instructions from the link. It will ask for a Windows disc but you can skip this part. Then choose to Burn to CD. Start the troubled machine and go to F12 and make sure the CD rom drive is the first boot device. Now put the newly created CD on the troubled machine start the computer and you should see the message Press Any Key to Boot off of CD/DVD. You will boot off of the CD and get to the Command Prompt and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors. You can also browse the C: drive from the CD and save any files you want to a USB Flash Drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.