Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heya guys and girls, new poster here. Sorry for this being my first post, and maybe my last, but I am a little desperate for help :p. For xmas, I got to build my own comp, which my brother helped me with. After all was done, we went to turn it on. It went fine for the first 2 minutes, then BAM. Overheated. Any ideas why? Did I put the thermo compound on at the wrong place? I put the thermo compound on the heatsink.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum...& Merry Christmas.
Typically, you put a very small amout (the size of a grain of rice) spread it with a credit card and then install the heatsink. Using too much is just as bad as using none at all. Just befor you finish tightening down the heatsink, give it a slight twist to spread everything out and remove any air bubbles....follow the directions here....Artic Silver thermal compound installation....AS5 is also the product of choice in thermal compunds. Be sure to clean off the old compound with some 99% isopropyl alcohol and lint free cloth and not touch the cpu and heatsink mating surfaces with your bare fingers, the oils on your fingers will hinder performance.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Might want to check a couple of things:

> Make sure the heatsink/fan clamp has the CPU clamped down tightly. Some times when it isn't snapped in, the CPU/Heatsink doesn't have enough pressure and then it heats up.

> Make sure you have your Heatsink fan blowing DOWN and not pulling warm air up.

> Make sure your rear fan is pulling warm air out and blowing it out of the back of the case.

> If you have a front fan, it should be pulling cool air in.

> If you have a top fan, it should be pulling air up out of the case.

> If you have a side fan, it should be pulling cool air in to the case.

> Make sure ribbon cables are not restricting the air flow around the CPU.

> Make certain "all" fans are working including the heatsink, video card, etc.

Post back with questions/concerns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> Make sure the heatsink/fan clamp has the CPU clamped down tightly. Some times when it isn't snapped in, the CPU/Heatsink don't have enough pressure and then it heats up.
Ah, clamp. That could be the problem. I though I had to just screw it in, where is the clamp that you speak of?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mobo- D975XBX

Heatsink- "Masscool" CPU Cooler

Processor- Intel C2D e6400

Still just staying on for a second. I tried taking everything out except the processor, as per what the support tech guy on the phone said to do, and still did the same thing. It's really aggravating.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
set it up out of the case where you can get a good look at everything
just try with
cpu
video
ram
speaker
and see if it stays on and gives you post

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status