Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's my story. I've had NOTHING but problems with ECS boards lately. I've got 3 computers, 2 of which are hooked up in the house, and one in my car. One in the house has an ECS board, and the one in my car does too. One day, the house computer with an ECS board showed signs of a burnt up processor (hit button, fans and drives turned on including CPU fan, but that’s all that happened). Then the next day, I was using the computer in my car, and it was working fine, until I ran an extension cord to it so the inverter didn't drain the battery. The car computer then also showed signs of a burnt up CPU. The only thing these two computers have in common is that they use ECS boards. The one with an Asus board works fine. And then, since the one in the car had a new processor, I was able to send it back and get another one, and I put it in and it's still doing the same thing. I don’t know if something keeps burning up the CPU’s, or if there’s something wrong with something else and the CPU’s are ok. I didn't do anything wrong, both these computers worked at one time, and all of a sudden, they both quit at once, and I don't think it was a coincidence, and I don’t know who’s to blame. *** happened? :4-dontkno Oh yeah, both power supplies work fine.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
take the motherboard, and carefully check the capacitors for bulging and possibly brown residue leaking out.

i've noticed ecs boards almost always fail this way.

if you feel seriously adventurous, you can replace any swollen capacitors, but it's not easy, and almost everyone will think you are crazy.

also, it's normally the capacitors greater than 1000 microferrads that swell and burst.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
As a side note, cpu's can take alot of abuse. When I have a problem pc,
the cpu is usually my last worry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, it was just weird that buth computers gave me fits at the same time, and only when they were plugged into the wall plug. The car one worked fine, until I unplugged it from the inverter, and into the extension cord. Guess I gotta let it go. Anyway one of the boards (P6STMT) had 2 of the capacitors surrounded in a brown dust, and I wasn't sure if that was the residue you were talking about. The other one (848P-A7) had no bulged caps or any residue surrounding them. I'm just going to buy new boards and stay away from ECS. You don't save money if you have to buy 3 ECS boards to one good one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.