Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay first things first.. my computer has been working fine for atleast 4-5 years. It's an eMachine (2007?). The night before, I was playing a game and I turned it off for the night. I turned the computer on as I do every morning and I get nothing. No light, no sound, no beep. I took everything to another room to try it out and still, nothing. So I opened up the case and looked things over and nothing looked wrong with it at least I think there isn't. I looked around google for this problem and people say it's the PSU. My PSU is 300W. So I take the PSU out and replace it with one of my older eMachines PSU which is 300W aswell and some difference with the V's and what not, and it started up okay. I got to the login screen, I log in, the computer crashed and I got a Blue screen saying there was something wrong with the computer or hardware. And I think there was something that said "IRQ no less or equal" or something like that. I turned it off and turned it back and I get the Black screen that says Windows had not been shutdown properly .. yada yada yada .. start windows normally .. you know. I choose to start it normally and it keeps rebooting to that screen. It did that for a while then it takes me to the login screen. I was thinking to myself "YES!" then it crashes and goes to the Black screen of hell. I rebooted it again and goes back there, AGAIN. I turned it off and on for the last time and I get no signal on my LCD monitor. Everything turns on, light, fans, PSU ect. LCD monitor stays lit in orange and nothing happens. Sometimes it would beep periodically and that should be a sign but I have no card that recognizes the beep code. So, in all cases, should I replace the PSU? Same wattage or even MORE? I'd like to spend maybe 20-40 bucks max. I really don't need anything performance wise, just to give it some juice to start up, that's all really. Any ideas!? I have some wedding pictures I need to publish for clients! Thanks in advanced!

PS. I'd give you my pc specs but I can't lol. Won't turn on.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
E-Machine PSU's are infamous for failure and it's not uncommon for them to damage other hardware (Mobo-COU) when they go.
Try clearing the CMOS. If you get a BSOD, post the Error Codes.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
UNPLUG the power cord from the PSU-open the case and remove the CMOS battery for 10 min. or so.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Can you borrow one to try? I've dealt with so many E-Machines with failed PSU's that damaged other hardware I'm reluctant to tell you to purchase one.
The best option is to do a bench test to determine if any other hardware is damaged.

Remove EVERYTHING form the case
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.