Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I figured I'd get some gaming in before going in to work. So I turned on my machine and nothing..... I am getting power to the MB though (2 little LED's come on) fans kick on etc., but nothing is coming up on screen, it's just black. I first suspected the video card so I tried a Radeon 9800 pro from a different computer and still nothing. Then for the heck of it I tried a different monitor and no luck there as well. I don't consider myself a complete newbie but this one has got me stumped. I don't even know where to begin and what to test or what to test it with. Oh, just in case someone mentions something about the CMOS battery, I replaced it a few months ago with a duracell one. So if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, doing some tinkering and troubleshooting with the computer, I decided just for the heck of it I would pop the CMOS battery out. I waited about 10 seconds, put it back in and tried firing it up again. And voila... life! But when the computer booted up it posted some errors that it must have encountered when it decided to stop working. There were 3 errors. 1. Display switch is set incorrectly 2. CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded 3. CMOS battery failed. I went into the BIOS and made the necessary changes (the multilplier etc...), saved and finally were able to boot properly. I'm not exactly sure what happened but have somewhat of an idea. Someone please let me know if this is even remotely possible.... My wife for some odd reason is always full of static. When she wears watches, somehow they just mysteriously stop working or the "new" battery lasts for a very short time. Anyway, she was dusting the computer room and thinks she may have felt a little zap when she was cleaning the computer. Would this have been a factor in what had happened? The battery is only a few months old.... should I replace it? Will I see any other ill effects in the near future? Thanks to all that have any input......

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My wife for some odd reason is always full of static. When she wears watches, somehow they just mysteriously stop working or the "new" battery lasts for a very short time.
I know what you mean I buy the wife a digital watch a week later it's flashing 1:00 and will keep doing it till the battery dies. :4-dontkno
I sappose it possable for her to have zapped somthing. :4-dontkno
But I would deffinatly check your battery. 3volts :sayyes:
PS: They Magnetize analog watches. It is quite common. :sayyes:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I think its much more probable that your mobo is groundign out on the case or a bum PSU / I doubt the de-energizer bunny (LOL wife) messed up your computer.

We have such this happen many times / you most litkely need isolation washers between you mobo and the case mount. They sell them in any computer store (cardboard fiber washers) some mobo installs use plastic standoffs ????

I have also used double layers of electrical tape cut into small tabs / to isolate the mobo from the case / via the mounting screws.

dont hesitate to ask more questions

joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am with you on the wife situation. And I would believe it is her. I built a comp 2 years ago and my wife thought she would go ahead and jump on and play that bubble bobble stuff (on a computer with a 3.2ghz and she plays bubble bobble). She decided she would touch the tower and ZAP dead nothing never came back. SHe has done this but not as bad twice since then. To bad you can't just replace the battery in the wife HAHA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.