Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad gave me his computer because he bought a new one and I would like some help in making it secure for surfing the web and talking with my friends on msn. I have been looking through past post and found alot of good info and wanted to tell you guys what I did and find out what you think of it. Ok, this is what I did.....

1. switched from IE to Opera
2. switched from MCAfee to Avast
3. switched from MS firewall to Sygate firewall
4. downloaded Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster,Ad-Aware and Webroot Spysweeper. Hope the free downloads are OK.

Is this good? Do I need something else?

Thanks for the help!

Noland

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
As long as your firewall is configured correctly and your spyware/virus definitions are updated regularly with regular scans, then you should be alright. Just stay away from excessive file sharing and only download files from trusted sites. Also, keep Windows (and all your software) regularly updated.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi team hoyt,

also download good optimization tools such as diskeeper for defragging your computer. check out www.majorgeeks.com and download the program there.

another good optimization tool is ccleaner. you can click on the link on my sig and download the program. ccleaner gets rid of alot fo junk on your computer such as cookies and more.

the programs youve downloaded are really good and another good software firewall include zonealarm. another good anti-virus program in which im using is AVG and its free.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
To clarify what Keymaker said, you do NOT want 2 antivirus programs or firewalls running on your computer at the same time :4-thatsba . Some other good things for the prevention of malware include:
IE-Spyad is a program that only needs to be run once to protect you from many malicious sites. It adds domains of known adware companies into the Restricted List of Internet Explorer, preventing them from performing malicious actions on your PC.

The MVPS HOSTS file is a file you can download and use to replace your regular hosts file. It prevents many sites from performing malicious actions by blocking the sites from ever being accessed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.