Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok...So My PC is up to the point where it is just really F'ed Up

Do Not Read!!!(Short Life story)
Ok I first got my pc when I was bout Hmmm...15(18Now)
So I was a lil Kid with a room full of candy...
I did what ever on it with out knowing that itll affect my pc greatly
To be honest at that time I did not know what Spyware,Malware,Trojans etc..were ..So i would just browse like if nothing would happen downloading stuff (without knowing it may conatin a virus) so as years passed I noticed changes to my PC ..I was even STUPID enough to actually open my pc up at age 15 and move things around (Smacks self)
So My PC is up to the point where I have done bout 10 HP PC System Recoveries ..Problem there is Its not exactly Installing windows it just starts a-new keeping the old Profile accounts so it would keep the date,files etc...
so my pc is up to 90% memory Usage with useless junk

ok now to the problem...
Like I said my PC is at about 90% Mem. Usage So wanna start my PC out of scratch Or Factory
I had lost the OS CD at age 15(Smacks self even harder) So I got a Burned Copy Tried installing ..Now another problem occurs product key is invalid tried many and none work
when I Try Booting CD nothing happens just a black screen...

Question:How to return my PC to Factory or scratch?

Note:I put a new HardDrive since old one got fried So idk if that would affect Anything and it's Windows XP Media Edition

If I miss anything ask please...
sorry for this enormous post...

Please and thank you!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Is your PC from a big name brand (like HP Dell or whatever)? If so you can usually order an OS or recovery CD from them for a small fee (like 10 or 20 bucks). You'll have to provide them with the serial number of your PC though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
EDIT
Cross posted with blah789

Hi iMuter1,

Without your restore CD or the restore partition that would have been on the original hard drive your options are limited.

You could buy a genuine copy of Windows and install that. You would then have to download all the HP drivers specific to your machine.

Or you could give HP a call - the phone number will be on this page - and buy a new restore CD.

Using a burned copy with various product keys won't work and is probably illegal.

Given that your system is 3 years old it may be cheaper (and less hassle) to bite the bullet and get a new (or second user) system. If you go for a used system make sure you get the genuine Windows CD with it - some people are not as honest as they might be.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
If you're in the USA, the number for HP recovery CD's is 1-800-952-7689. It's 10 to 20 bucks for XP, and usually has a drivers CD and an XP CD. You'll need to give them the serial number of your PC (should be on a sticker somewhere).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.