Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone please help me!! i can't use my system restore. it takes me to the point where i can choose what point i want to restore from, it goes to the next page where its supposed to start the restore, but when i hit the "next" button, it won't do anything from there on. also i can't get into my add/remove programs. i can go into control panel where it lists everything, but when i click on "add/remove programs", it does nothing. can anyone tell me what happened and if it can be fixed?

·
Registered
928 Posts
We may be able to help if you provide the needed info.

What OS, WinXP (SP?)?

What make of PC (Dell, HP, etc.)?

By "system restore" what do you mean?
  • Windows System Restore floppy?
  • Dell or other OEM Restore?
  • A 3rd party backup utility restore?
If you are talking Windows System Restore, poor choice, it needs to be able to access the Restore Points on your HD. You should have used a good backup utility. Preferably one that make an image of your entire hard drive (not just a file backup). This is what we use to provide a recovery DVDs (takes 2) for our customers.

Example: For people using NERO 7 or 8, the BackItUp module, Drive Backup option, will backup your entire hard drive to a set of DVD-R or CD-R (if you have a DVD-ROM-RW or CD-ROM-RW of course). The first DVD/CD of a NERO backup set is bootable to the NERO BackItUp Recovery utility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im using windows xp professional. the computer is a laptop....dell inspiron d610. i mean when i go into the system restore thats already on the computer....i guess its windows. i found 4 viruses and removed them with avira antivirus but the computer still isnt running right. i uninstalled a few programs by highlighting them and going to "uninstall ...." but there were a few things i couldnt get to uninstall, and they came up with application errors saying the application failed to initialize properly (oxc0000006) in the following applications msiexec.exe googledesktopsetup.exe mmc.exe comes up when i try to defragment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.