Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently installed a new processor, Intel Pentium 4 550, 3.4ghz, an now while playing games, my pc resets itself, sometimes after Ive closed a game.

I searched around the forums and found similar problems, but not for my particlar problem, I installed PCAlert4, and an alarm is ringing out, my Vcore voltage is running at around 2.60v and constantly changing, which is way too high, it should be below 1.4v, in bios its lower than 1.4v but once I boot into my o/s the voltage rises.

And for the +12V section, theres no reading at all, wandering what the problem is here and what I can do to fix it?

I'm guessing I may need a new PSU, but my current one is 400w, I did the PSU calculator, and I get around 320w, so I think my PSU can handle what I have, I dont have any external hard drives ..

My overall CPU temp seems ok, about 35c idle, and 50-60 when playing a game..

Or could it be my GPU overheating, just goes black and says no display, then after a few secs, boots again.. I have an ATI Radeon x1600 Pro..

Or maybe I havn't re-applied the thermal paste well enough?

What causes Vcore voltage to rise over the settings in bios?

Any help really is appreciated, last processor I bought wouldn't work, got a bad bios checksum, bought a new one and now I have new problems :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just tried Everest since its newer software, and it had warning signs on all my voltages:

+3.3V = 3.28v (only one that doesnt have a warning)
+5V = 5.48v
+12V = 1.46v
-5V = -7.56v
+5V Standby = 4.97v

No idea what any of that means ... :4-dontkno

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would I need to check and note before finding a compatible PSU, I've never replaced a PSU before, also my PC is Micro-ATX, do normal ATX PSU's fit in Micro-ATX cases?

Stress everytime I buy one thing, I have to buy 2-3 other things to get it to work properly!

·
Registered
146 Posts
get the highest wattage you can

i dunno about the micro atx, hopefully someone else can help ya there, and i know the feeling but this will help in the long run with your sys,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheaper to get a new PC case with PSU than it is to get a PSU :p

So I ordered a new midi tower PC case which supports micro-ATX, and it comes with a 500w power supply, hopefully that will do the job.

In the mean time though, is it safe for me to leave my PC on with these voltages? The CPU, System and MB temps all seem fine, so not sure whether to risk it?

Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.