Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a computer running windows xp that got infected by 6 trojans (the McAfee anti virus software was no help in preventing or cleaning the computer). So I stupidly messed with it myself and ended up with no device drivers at all (zero). For some reason the computer boots up okay but I can't get online. (I'm typing this on a different computer)
This computer did not come with a Win. XP cd and all I have are these recovery cds that I created when I first got the computer. I have been trying to figure out if I can get it up and running without buying a copy of WIN xp on NewEgg.com I have searched on google and only succeeded in getting more and more confused and frustrated about the whole process. Are the recovery cds that I made when I first got this computer useless? Do I need to buy WinXP and reformat the hard drive. Is it too complicated for a person like me and should I just buy a new computer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a computer running windows xp that got infected by 6 trojans (the McAfee anti virus software was no help in preventing or cleaning the computer). So I stupidly messed with it myself and ended up with no device drivers at all (zero). For some reason the computer boots up okay but I can't get online. (I'm typing this on a different computer)
This computer did not come with a Win. XP cd and all I have are these recovery cds that I created when I first got the computer. I have been trying to figure out if I can get it up and running without buying a copy of WIN xp on NewEgg.com I have searched on google and only succeeded in getting more and more confused and frustrated about the whole process. Are the recovery cds that I made when I first got this computer useless? Do I need to buy WinXP and reformat the hard drive. Is it too complicated for a person like me and should I just buy a new computer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Hi, I have the same issue, the PC got caught in a BSOD loop even when I changed hard drives and the virus (if that's what it was/is) knocked out the keyboard driver so no moving the cursor to safe mode :rolleyes: I tried a lot of things then took out one of the memory sticks and tried a reboot.

Not sure if it was this or not but it booted to windows and restored/repairs the file that it said was missing or corrupt.

I now have a working XP with no device drivers and various other quirks but the internet oddly still works on wireless.

I'd really rather not do another reinstall, any way of fixing this?

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
as far as having no device drivers, what really happened is you have the drivers, the ability to veiw them in device manager or edit them has been removed from the virus. at least that's what it sounds like, this problem would be a registry problem that no registry scanner is gonna be able to fix, and manually would probably take you a loooong time if it were even possible. there may be some way of fixing this issue but i can guarentee it won't be easy, even if you knew what to do.

If this were my problem, which i have had a similar problem (i've fixed a computer that had a virus that knocked out windows installer, lan connections, device manager, system restore, and the antivirus/spyware installed on the computer, knocked out meaning just non existant on the computer) the only way i could fix this problem was to reformat (not even repair worked) so i'd just have to suggest the OP either buy a new XP CD, for the cheapest way out, buy a new computer for the more expensive way out.

as for the second poster, you can get on windows, so it's not like you can't just backup files you want to keep and do fresh install, otherwise first just try a repair install. (i doubt a repair install would help though at this point)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.