Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm new to building PCs and have a basic queston...

I have a Chieftec Matrix Case and ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MB...

When connecting the front case panel wiring (power, HDD, reset, etc.) to the Motherboard, which way to the leads attach to the MB?

Some leads have black and red wires or black and green wires, etc. -- which is positive and negative?

What about the wiring that has other combos, such as yellow and white for instance? which colors are +, which - ?? what color are ground wires?

The manuals are of no help and I've talked with folks who have given me different answers

Any help is appreciated....Thanks...

- Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
well the chieftec case should have the same wiring as an antec which is what i have. First off the only things that are important to hook up are the positive and negative correctly for the led's on the front of the case but even if you screw up nothing is going to blow just switch them around. just make sure you don't put the wires on the wrong pins. well i can tell you from my experience all blacks are negative and all white's are negative. this does not hold true for the front mounted usb's and firewire if you have them.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
twobucks is right. As he said, the reset & power switches aren't polarized, they can go either way because both sides of the switch should "float" (in my brief experience, neither side is grounded). Same goes for the speaker. (Chase the wires out to the switches/speaker if you have any doubt, and make sure nothing's grounded.)

The LED's do matter, but fortunately with only 2 choices, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. So stick a disk in the floppy drive (to prevent booting all the way to OS till you're done). Try the power LED connectors one way. Power up. If it lights, you got it right: yay! Now power off. If it didn't light, reverse the connector. Now hook up the hard disk LED the same way. Power up and recheck that both LED's work. You're done.

Don't run an LED too long with it attached wrong, you can blow it out.

-clintfan

p.s. I cheated when I hooked up my LED's, I used a power supply and resistor to try them out beforehand. That told me the white wire indeed was the negative (gound) side. But it was natural for me to try this because I have an electronics background; not everyone would feel comfortable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you got your P4C800-E Deluxe mother board you should have had the "User Guide","Quick Reference Card"(actually its really a sticker)...the one they tell you to stick to the inside of case... and also should have had another book.... called the "Quick Setup Guide"
well i too had the same problem figuring out what color wire goes where.....i read the entire user guide, looked at Quick Setup Card and neither one of them were of any help what so ever.
but then i remembered seeing the other book.... the "Quick Setup Guide"

If you look on page #7 of the "Quick Setup Guide"(english section)step 6 will tell you the info.....here it is exactly how they have it.

6.....CONNECT THE CASE LEDs
On the front of the case,you will find some LED and switch leads.Connect these leads to the panel header on the motherboard.
NOTE:Normally, leads are labeled;if not,trace them back to the case front to determine their source. Dark colored wires usually attach to positive leads, and white wires to negative leads.(see reference card)

i hope this is what you were meaning when you said

"When connecting the front case panel wiring (power, HDD, reset, etc.) to the Motherboard, which way to the leads attach to the MB?"

also it seems that when i hooked mine up this way all worked except the 2 LEDs on the front panel.(hdd LED and the power LED).....speaker,power sw,reset sw, all seem to work just fine...

also guess i can add mine to the working P4C800-E DELUXE ,ive been fighting a problem with the video card for atleast 2 weeks now, and have been reading all the helpful suggestions here....
as it turned out, all i had to do was remove one of the 512meg memory chips(something about a win98 se memory limitation).... and now works great....(for now)i know microsoft has a work around for it,but for now i dont even want to mess with it...
(If it aint broke dont try fixing it)
thankyou too all for the great input and time you have spent here to help others,without it so many of us would have probally given up . i know i for one was about to play frisbee with the mobo...

·
Registered
16 Posts
wires

Black is usually the ground wire, red or green usually the positive. If not sure, just try em both ways until you get the desired result, it wont cause a short. I have worked on the same case and figured it out in a couple minutes by using them both ways with colored wires that didn't always correlate black=ground and red/green=positive.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
bushido is right, black is usually ground... in everything except PC cases, it seems. Some PC cases seem to use white. Who knows why... probably whatever wire was cheap at the time they bought it.

-clintfan

S

·
0 Posts
I have found that nothing is standard with cases and there wiring. I just hook them up one way and if it doesn't work I just flip it around. It's a lot faster than trying to figure it all out.....:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.