Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.just recently,when i was recording videos, the computer tells me that my hard drive is low on disk space.but the problems is that my hard drive has a disk space of 40Gb and i have only used about 20Gb of it.however,when i check avaliable hard disk space,the drives shows that it is only left with 43Mb.can anyone help?it would be much appreciate.

jessica

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

If the system is telling you that the space is low, how do you know its another value much smaller instead?
Can you restart the system and then go to Start>Run>type: diskmgmt.msc, hit enter and check there what your total and free space is.

Was this a sudden problem one day? How large were these videos? If you moved them over to your HDD the could have decreased the space, while other space (above 1GB) is allocated for System Restore, Paging file etc.

I'd run this checkup initially to see the health of your HDD first:

- For your manufacturer/model, download its utility from http://www.techsupportforum.com/f234/hard-drive-diagnostic-utilities-132450.html
- Run a thorough scan and see if any errors are given.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya it was a sudden problem ,because now what i am doing is that i am trying to record old vhs videos into my computer and one videos take about 1Gb each.

the disk management show me 4 disk drives and all of them are healthy.but my concern is on my disk drive (D:).when i right-click the drive and go to properties,the avaliable disk space shown is only 43 Mb although i never use that much from the 40Gb drive.:sigh:

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
another thing to do is to check out how much space is allocated to your system restore function, that may be able to be reduced some as well. You temp folders are also a good culprit of stealing space as well as temp internet files and cookies ect

i use cleanup often and it helps keep the rubbish out of my temp folders and such. Have a look and it may help as well. You can do a dry run without deleting files so you can check to see what it will remove.
DOWNLOAD CLEANUP HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.