Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I have an emachines 590. I want to fit a thermostatically controlled CPU fan by arctic cooling, to make life quieter!.

The new fan works fine but a few seconds after boot up the PC warns me that there is a problem with the CPU cooling fan and shuts down. Plugging the old fan back in everything works fine even though the old fan is not fitted to the CPU.

HELP!!!! :cry:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
welcome to tsf:

ok / so i understand you wan to install an after market cpu cooler / good choice

you will need some thermal grease (artic silver 5 is the BEST) and you will need to review how to "correctly" apply the grease ????

what is your status now ???? do you have the new cooler and grease ???? are you ready to install it ????

I have kinda gathered you already installed the new one ???? did you use thermal grease ????? is the new heatsink real secure and not wobbley or casn you wiggle it much with finger pressure ????? did you connect the new cpu fan to the same location as the old one ????

regards

joe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ mikbro
I think the reason you keep getting warnings is that you have the warning system enabled in BIOS and it reads your slow-running fan as 'not running' as it can't sense fans running slowly. I had the same problem when I turned down the fan on my Zalman7000.
What worked for me was to disable the BIOS fan monitors and uninstalled Asus Probe. I did install and currently use Motherboard Monitor. I have a little window on my desktop that keeps me abreast of the fan speeds and temps at all times.
As for you, your problem is two-fold. One, you have the system monitor going and it can't sense your slow fan, so it sends a warning. Your second problem, and probably bigger, is that you shouldn't really be running a slower fan on a stock CPU HeatSink. The stock HSF needs to be going at the higher speeds to keep things cool. The stock unit is a compromise between cheap and efficient. If you really want to quiet the HSF, the best suggestion is to get a new HSF unit that is quieter and more efficient. You don't say what processor you have, but a little looking and I find you might have a P4 2.4GHz. Some of the better low-cost HSF include the Zalman7000 or the Arctic Cooling Freezer4. Pick up some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste as well and you will have one 'cool' CPU and one less noisy component to worry about :sayyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.