Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one harddisk (80 GB), and then I separate into 2 partition, one is c(30GB) and d(50GB). Every thing is fine.
But my motherboard /builtin-sound card is broke, and I change to other new brand name of motherboard.

New Motherboard---Windows XP can't log on, it show logon safe mode or normal start, but I try two and it still reboot again. Then I use XP CD and choose R to fix C (chkdsk c: /r and fixboot c:), after I use fixboot c and it still says c is NTFS, but it still cant log on.

So, I use XP CD to install XP and didnt format c( choose "install XP" and Fix XP) , just reinstall XP to fix system file. It still also cant log on.

Then I use old motherboard, windows XP also cant log on, I use XP CD to fixboot c again, bit this time it c says c is FAT.

I unplug and plug to another computer to see partition. This computer says this harddisk only had one 10MB and FAT, but control panel/system management tool says this harddisk is 80GB.

But I am sure I didnt format C or D.

Because the data is very important for me.

Please help me....
Please tell me any idea to fix partition table.
Thanks.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Hi Johnwg,

Replacing a motherboard on a Windows XP system can be tricky. I did it successfully, changing to an ASUS P4C800E Deluxe from an ABIT IC7-G, but I went with a clean install of Windows.

You can find some suggestions on what to do to save your installation at this link:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm

You might be able to save the data on your D: partition by installing the drive in another machine and trying to access the partition. The safest way to preserve your data would have been to back it up prior to installing the new mobo, if you were able to boot up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ibrokeit for your reply,
I see the link, yes, my procedure is same as the link.
But my point is after I do all, it still can't log on the windows.
But I do the stupid job is fixboot c.....so now I only can see 10MB and FAT of C and didn't have partition d.
If I choose to install windows XP, now it detect entire hd ( C is FAT) and asks me to format 80GB....

Any idea...
Becuase I cant format and lose the data.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.