Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have winME preinstalled on my comp and would like to use 98se because, well winME is...well you know if you have it. Yet because it is preinstalled i get a warning telling me it can not be upgraded when i put in the 98se. I have read it is because of two files not on my boot disk. The win98se is a full version cd. I have also read it is a buggar to role back to 98 from Me. and with this added preinstalled problem I am stumped. The two files winundo.dat and winundo.ini are in my registery but when i search for them on my comp they are not found. Thanks in advance for any answers.:winkgrin:

S

·
0 Posts
They may be hidden files! Open my computer and go to tools, folder options and view. select show hidden files and folders.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
probley not but the case but...is Win ME (mistake edition) embedded....meaning it is hotwired to the hardware...then you have to deal with it...probley can go to XP (not sure of that) if not and you need to deal with ME --get more RAM spend the money alot of ME problems...and there are alot ...are helped with RAM

now to go to 98 you are s-O-l ...98 doesnt know ME exsists...it wouldnt know what to upgrade (if it were alive and knew these things) you have to format and start from scratch....but if your going to do that spend the $$ you need to make it viable and upgrade to XP...worth every cent...even the anti-M$ people (yes they are out there ...hard to belive) will admitt XP is the "best" OS put out by M$

G/L either way

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Speedo, tried your suggestion, can not find the files, still.:rolleyes: Thanks again. Doonz I think possibly it is imbedded somewhere, if this is the case, I wouldn't mind updating, is it really that good compared to all the others out there?. Also how much do you, or anyone, believe it possible to upgrade with my Me being soldered on somewhere in this infernal machine? And, if poss, how much and any nice places or sites that are selling it cheaper than your local stores.:winkgrin:
Thanks again all. ttfn

·
Registered
283 Posts
From the specs of your PC you should have no problems upgrading to Xp. But buy XP pro not home edition. You could go to PCmall or something to order the OS and if you need hardware upgrades you could go to pricewatch.com. But again buy XP Pro not Home Edition!!! It will pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Rain...I was throwing it out there but I highly doubt it is embedded...that type of software is VERY CUSTOM...talking big business or govt type machines...and ME was NEVER intended for that....

with that said...yes XP is that good...post you spec's and well advise you about what to upgrade ...

YOU CANT GET WIN ME:no: to downgrade to WIN98 ...nope:no: uht uht...not going to happen :no:...when pigs fly...there IS NO UPGRADE PATH...:thtsbad: or in your case downgrade...you can fdisk and format and do a clean install ...but if your going to do that...UPGRADE TO XP :rockon:

What do you want....is cheap is the answer go to walmart and get the $199 lidows (spelling is right) machine...if quality is what you want ...go to PRO...XP that is...
:jump1: :king:

and if you could post the info about the files your looking for and why...would like to know what they are talking about...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DOONZ

i'm presuming the info you are on about is refering to the winundo.bat and winundo.ini.. I read about these from a number of sites concerning upgrading and downgrading your o.s. I also read in a mag that if these 2 files have been removed from your system( by the manufactures of the pc, i presume) then its not possible to use another o.s. Which is what the original question was based upon(which is why upgrading to xp worries me). they contain info like your systems keycode for your o.s. and such, i presume. I hope this is what you are asking about.
concerning reformatting my hd and fresh installing it, i have done this but the win98cd still will not load. I have to put my manufatures boot cd to start it. Anyhow, i am going to get xp pro when i can get the dollars. Btw Doonz i hope you mean walmart web site rather than the store, since i live in the uk. I know xp is good but i don't think the air fair would be a fair sacrifies. However, they have bought a grocery chain in england, but i doubt they sell xp. If my pc can run on frozen carrots and peas, then i'm in luck. Cheers for your interest. I have sent this message for the info above. I think its xp, soon:winkgrin:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Kewl...never hear of thoes files but hey who knows....going to XP will be worth it...enjoy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.