Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ohk so heres how its goes: I have brought a computer quite a while ago about 11 months and it still running good. about 9 months later after buying it i decided to try out internet on it. i went to my local phone store and brought myself a optusnet starter kit for dial-up . when i put the disk in it didn't seem to connect. thats when i notice that i havn't installed a dail-up modem so i did after a few phone calls to the company service. so its was all done. i connected to it then i tried out internet explorer... didn't work, then i also installed firefox and same problem, tried my internet games... nothing... then tried windows messenger.. nothing... so i later the following week i phoned optus back. they told me to clear all my internet files in Internet options and nothing worked.

if anyone can help me please do because i'm recently going to get adsl and it would be a shame if it did not work and having to pay for it until the contract expire. so if any of you can tell me if i had to do anything to set the computer up before starting.
thanks.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
Can you start with the make/model of the modem, the version and patch level of Windows in use, and the exact symptoms? Do you hear the modem dialing? Do you hear it connecting? What errors do you receive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that mke of the modem is a Netcomm Internal 56K Software Modem
and i'm already have a netgear adsl modem not sure what model tho. i'm havn't updated the windows its running WinXP home with SP2 installed. when it is dialing to the internet its makes all the normal dialing sounds and connects like normal with the speed showing in the menu at the bottom. Thats when nothing happens after disconnecting i phoned optus back and they said i was last connect about 5 minutes ago. thats all i can give you for now.

And would adsl work if dial-up doesnt?

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
ADSL is a totally different service, so it's success or failure isn't dependent on how dial-up works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
by the way is there any special settings you have to put on internet explore or windows firewall to start using the net on dial up and adsl?

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
Well, for dial-up, you normally configure that in IE Tools, Internet Options, Connections. For most broadband, I uncheck everything and say "Never dial a connection" there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.