Tech Support banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,232 Posts
Yep. Also keep in mind that not everyone will like, or be able to use the same thing. What's "best" for say Uncle Bubba may not be the best Aunt Martha, or your Grandpa or my Grandaughter. You get the idea. ;)

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
The defrag issue will soon be moot as SSD's become the norm.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,730 Posts
These are your opinions and in mine Comodo does nothing right and an awful lot wrong. Defraggler may be a good product but lives on a site that is a cesspool of bloatware. Sine you don't defrag SSd drives certainly the majority of us would have no need of any defragging. Having used Windows Defragging in the past, I felt it was quite sufficient, my opinion!
I use Open Shell on Windows 10 and find little difference from Windows 7 except the graphics is far superior and it is way quicker. However I always tweaked a system to get it where I wanted so I don't know why I wouldn't have to do it on Windows 10 also because I am fussy.
"Windows 10 is broken?" by what? How. It is the smoothest best full platform Microsoft has ever designed. To me LInux is broken because it is so damn difficult to use for many functions I don't want to bother to learn it and Apple is too expensive and too easy for anyone that has finally mastered the ins and outs of Windows in my opinion.
You think that software combined into Windows is an outline of a product and not complete so then use something that is complete. I think they gave us all that was really needed for most jobs and if I want to do something that requires more I will usa it and Partition Master by EaseUs is a good example of that for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also use Open Shell. I use it because the UI since Window 8 is broken IMO. If it wasn't I wouldn't have to use Open Shell, formerly Classic Shell and I also use EaseUS Partition Master. Anotho

I'm an advance Windows user so you'll have to agree that making an OS easier to use for the masses does not make it easier to use for experts. In this case I have to use an interface that again is made for people that don't know how to use an operating system. Using the Windows defaults is waste of my time.

One more tool I forgot to list is TeraCopy version 2.3. I've been burnt too many times using File Manage, Explorer, now File Manager again for copying files. For some reason the destination files don't always get copied correctly in Windows when copying large amoounts of files.

TeraCopy uses CRC file checking to make sure that the copys are the same. I've looked at Total Commander, and Directory Opus, both which have a file and folder synchronization feature but don't say how there file checking algorithm works. Which is why I use Explorer++ instead with TeraCopy handling file operations. I also never move files, I always use a copy operation then after that's complete I then delete the source files. Also been burned too many time using the Windows move command.

You still haven't posted your recommendation for Firewall software. I suppose that's because you believe the Windows file wall is good enough but didn't want to say so. I would disagree and would again say another feature of Windows that is deficient.

·
14,730 Posts
Yeah I think the Windows Firewall is adequate. I hear what you are saying about Explorer but personally I have never seen anything missed using Explorer and I find TeraCopy confusing to use as well as unnecessary. I mean its my opinion but I try to keep Windows as "lean and mean": as possible.
I do not understand why the XP and Win 7 Start Menu which were the best Microsoft has ever done had to be altered into the disgrace that started with Windows 8 and then really warped out with Windows 10 though and that is the only time I would add duplicative features unless I felt I needed more hasn't the version in Windows offered. But again this is all opinion neither right nor wrong just that and again an OS is meant to be personalized.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow man!. If your in an environment that uses desktops behind a server there's no need for all the things I'm discussing. If you are not in an server environment like home users then your thinking is myopic as far as what single pc users experience. There's no systems administrator to protect and backup a work pc from virus and data loss on a home system.

I do understand what the were trying to do. They, Microsoft have been consistently losing market share to Android, IOS and Linux over the last 10 years and they were trying to corner the market like IBM tried to do with OS2. A really stupid move. At least IBM realized their mistake with the Lenovo line of PC's. Microsoft is still floundering with it's lastest OS incarnation. Every new release is adding more and more support for Linux with bash included. It appears to me that the future of Windows is not so much an integration with linux into Windows but the integration of everyone to paying for an OS via online services. So this is all a slight of hand move by Microsoft. Not one of the current server offerings by Microsoft has software that you can use to isolate even Microsoft from it. All a cloud based servers which require a lucrative subscription and licensing program to line Microsoft's pockets.

The really should be broken up at least into an OS company and an applications company. If the want to go into the business of renting services then by all means let them do so in a third seperate incorportion.

I really don't think MS cares for it's legacy in desktoip OS's but instead is moving to a rented online system that only requires a terminal for use and a paid subscription to use any app via the terminal.

Bill gates was against this back when Larry Ellison of Oracal wanted to do this 30 years ago. The new leadership at Microsoft wanted to change Windows into an Android type OS with Windows 8. The backlash was swift. The release of Win8.1 followed closely there after. Windows 9 was scrubed which is why they skipped to Win 10. There only throwing programming assets at the desktop OS til they can figure out how to move the whole of the desktop seen to the subsription model. So I seriously digressed from the topic. My apoligies.

The OP wanted suggestions to make his system better or else why ask for software to include. Your myopic on this too it appears.

How about you try to help the OP things to improve his next OS installaton instead of belittling my software suggestions. Not really worthy of a Team Manager - Hard, Acting Manager, Security as you say you are. How about a little more of "try this software" or "what about this software:" istead of the pooh poohing of suggestions by other posters.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As far as Teracopy try version 2.3. I've complained to them about the new Win 8-10 interface. Yes their newer offering are crap as far as the UI. Version 2.3 of Teracopy was easy to use and had a simple to understand Ui (user interface). Go give that version a thorough try and I think you'll come aboard with using it as a daily driver, as far as a file copy manager.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,200 Posts
Rich, Spyware Blaster blocks bad sites by setting permissions in the various browsers. Whilst this may seem like a good idea, having thousands of blocked sites, most of which you will never visit, and which get changed on a regular basis, just means that over time your browser will just get slower and slower as the number of blocked sites gets ever bigger.

The same problem occurs to a lesser extent with a large Hosts file.

Because of this, programs like Malwarebytes moved to a process of active blocking, which deals with sites by analysing what it finds when you land on them, and also by referring to a list hosted on one of Malwarebytes' servers.

As for "tracking cookies", well to be honest they really are the least of your worries where tracking is concerned, so it really doesn't matter too much whether you remove every single on or not, you'll still be tracked.

Tracking is very big business, and advertisers, and web analysts have gone to a great deal of time and expense to ensure that they can follow you around the internet and compile data on what you look at.

Pretty much every site you land on will have beacons, and other site monitoring software that logs and categorises its visitors, and these are often not dependant at all on cookies to function.

Blocking tracking is an exercise in futility for most people, since paradoxically, due to fingerprinting, the more trouble you go to to hide your identity, the more identifiable you become.

For me personally, I just use Firefox with the "Enhanced Tracking Protection" setting set to Strict, and that will block most of the basic tracking techniques.

To check how identifiable you are, EFF have a browser checker at ...

·
28,962 Posts
I just prefer to let FF delete all cookies when closing it.

·
14,730 Posts
That is fine but that doesn't touch tracking cookies!

·
14,730 Posts
Rich, Spyware Blaster blocks bad sites by setting permissions in the various browsers. Whilst this may seem like a good idea, having thousands of blocked sites, most of which you will never visit, and which get changed on a regular basis, just means that over time your browser will just get slower and slower as the number of blocked sites gets ever bigger.

The same problem occurs to a lesser extent with a large Hosts file.

Because of this, programs like Malwarebytes moved to a process of active blocking, which deals with sites by analysing what it finds when you land on them, and also by referring to a list hosted on one of Malwarebytes' servers.

As for "tracking cookies", well to be honest they really are the least of your worries where tracking is concerned, so it really doesn't matter too much whether you remove every single on or not, you'll still be tracked.

Tracking is very big business, and advertisers, and web analysts have gone to a great deal of time and expense to ensure that they can follow you around the internet and compile data on what you look at.

Pretty much every site you land on will have beacons, and other site monitoring software that logs and categorises its visitors, and these are often not dependant at all on cookies to function.

Blocking tracking is an exercise in futility for most people, since paradoxically, due to fingerprinting, the more trouble you go to to hide your identity, the more identifiable you become.

For me personally, I just use Firefox with the "Enhanced Tracking Protection" setting set to Strict, and that will block most of the basic tracking techniques.

To check how identifiable you are, EFF have a browser checker at ...

Gary what tracking cookies do isn't my concern it's their presence and obviously you will always be adding more but regular scanning and removal of them definitely speeds up your browsers. I never ceased to be amazed how suddenly removing 3,000 tracking cookies which I would say the average pc has onboard if never scanned for will speed up a browser especially on a dog slow internet as many of my clients have. Truthfully removing 3,000 of anything will speed things up as we both know.
As for Spywareblaster I am reluctant to remove anything I do which keeps people away from potentially bad websites
and I am not sure what you are saying Mbam does that duplicates the process.

·
14,730 Posts
Wow man!. If your in an environment that uses desktops behind a server there's no need for all the things I'm discussing. If you are not in an server environment like home users then your thinking is myopic as far as what single pc users experience. There's no systems administrator to protect and backup a work pc from virus and data loss on a home system.

I do understand what the were trying to do. They, Microsoft have been consistently losing market share to Android, IOS and Linux over the last 10 years and they were trying to corner the market like IBM tried to do with OS2. A really stupid move. At least IBM realized their mistake with the Lenovo line of PC's. Microsoft is still floundering with it's lastest OS incarnation. Every new release is adding more and more support for Linux with bash included. It appears to me that the future of Windows is not so much an integration with linux into Windows but the integration of everyone to paying for an OS via online services. So this is all a slight of hand move by Microsoft. Not one of the current server offerings by Microsoft has software that you can use to isolate even Microsoft from it. All a cloud based servers which require a lucrative subscription and licensing program to line Microsoft's pockets.

The really should be broken up at least into an OS company and an applications company. If the want to go into the business of renting services then by all means let them do so in a third seperate incorportion.

I really don't think MS cares for it's legacy in desktoip OS's but instead is moving to a rented online system that only requires a terminal for use and a paid subscription to use any app via the terminal.

Bill gates was against this back when Larry Ellison of Oracal wanted to do this 30 years ago. The new leadership at Microsoft wanted to change Windows into an Android type OS with Windows 8. The backlash was swift. The release of Win8.1 followed closely there after. Windows 9 was scrubed which is why they skipped to Win 10. There only throwing programming assets at the desktop OS til they can figure out how to move the whole of the desktop seen to the subsription model. So I seriously digressed from the topic. My apoligies.

The OP wanted suggestions to make his system better or else why ask for software to include. Your myopic on this too it appears.

How about you try to help the OP things to improve his next OS installaton instead of belittling my software suggestions. Not really worthy of a Team Manager - Hard, Acting Manager, Security as you say you are. How about a little more of "try this software" or "what about this software:" istead of the pooh poohing of suggestions by other posters.
Not sure what I am "pooh poohing" as much as I am saying I am a big believer in KISS. If "Joe average" installed all your suggestions, his system would be large and unweildy. Not saying depending on need many of those programs might do a better job than the Windows adaptions but the average person doesn't need more than Windows offers.
Not that it is relevant I am behind a server myself, but I still like to keep as small a system as possible and I never install or suggest install of programs one might need only7 ones they do need for what they do everyday. Suggesting the poster practices KISS is not off topic while bashing MIcrosoft within the umbrella of helping the user sure is I think.

·
28,962 Posts
That is fine but that doesn't touch tracking cookies!
I also delete History and clean cache with every closing of FF.

EDIT: I also run Quick Scan more often manually than MS Security does automatically.

·
8,232 Posts

·
28,962 Posts
The results of Gary's link:
Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking.

·
8,232 Posts

·
14,730 Posts
I also delete History and clean cache with every closing of FF.

EDIT: I also run Quick Scan more often manually than MS Security does automatically.
That's great but tracking cookies are still there Rick.

·
28,962 Posts
That's great but tracking cookies are still there Rick.
FF has Tracking choices in its Privacy & Security options. Duck Duck Go has a block.

·
14,730 Posts
You can block tracking in all browsers by choosing that option and that will get most of them but some will slip through.
I guess what we call tracking cookies could be better named "tracking pixels" and the difference between them and other cookies is what they do and more importantly where they are kept. Deleting cookies in browsers does not remove tracking pixels as tracking pixels broadcast from browsers but don't necessarily reside in them. Blocking tracking if it works will prevent them.
Tracking cookies by themselves cannot infect a pc, but they can easily be hijacked and allow Malware to follow along to your browser.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts