Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I see this post with a user that had the same problem as me.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10...w-i-cant-find-any-of-my-old-files-115153.html

Same thing. I did a non-destructive system recovery because I had viruses on my computer. My hard drive space is still around 80g like it was before the recovery. I see the my back up folder in the C drive. None of my important files are there. Since hard drive space is used I know they must be there somewhere. I have done a search for my missing files, or even for all files of certain types, my files aren't there. I see in the post above that the user fixed the problem, but to be honest I am having trouble understanding the post and how it was corrected. Can someone please simplify this for me and tell me what I need to do in order to restore my files??? PLEASE???

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please forgive me. I do not understand. I clicked on the link. Then I have even more options. File Recovery download or Smart recovery download (is either one okay?), then i have to choose from FTP or HTTP. I am a beginner I do not know what any of this means. Sorry to be a pain. SO I after I download this program it will help me restore my files???

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/ ) How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack
To resolve this problem, restore the missing data and program shortcuts from a backup.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
What happens when you try to open the "my backup folder"?
Do you get an error, or is it just empty?

What often happens is you don't have access to the folder and just need to take ownership of it. Until you do, windows will say Access Denied, and will report the size of the folder as 0 when you right click and check properties, no matter how many files it actually contains. And Search will be unable to find any of the files inside of that folder.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

If you Defrag the drive, you might be able to see the file names of some of your files, and see if they are in a different folder.
DO NOT DEFRAG if you think the files may have been deleted as that will likely overwrite the deleted files, making recovery impossible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are no error messages when I click on the files, they are just empty.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I had to get more storage space in order to try one of the file recovery programs cause it means i have to resave the file and my hard drive is already used up with the first set of empty files that I don't have access to, I did that so I am going to try that first, thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.