Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All righty then,

This is my first post here... I found this page on Google looking for tech support, as both ATI and my cable company have been unable to help (my cable company didn't understand me, and ATI just gave me a form letter with links to stuff on their site that I had already read).

A few months ago I built a new computer (the parts are listed in my sig); included in this rig was an ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro... I got this because I was really intrigued by the concept of being able to record TV shows to my computer, and it proved quite a useful function for me. I had it hooked up to the cable in my new apartment, it found all the channels fine, and everything worked great.

I didn't use it much for a span of a few weeks because a failed dual-boot setup of Windows XP Pro and Red Hat 9 forced me to reformat and reinstall XP. Somewhere during that time I also discontinued the digital cable service (but stayed with the same company) and went to analog. The computer's tv reception was ALWAYS on analog (the digital only went to one TV in the house with a cable box).

So when I finally got my computer up and running, everything seemed to work fine... fine that is except for my television reception. For some reason, about 80% of the channels are unable to be found when I do an autoscan (instead they come up as static). I only get 2-6, 14-20, and a few in the 60's range. I had also been having problems on the TV that used to have the box, but just running it through my VCR and doing an auto-search for channels fixed that. Running auto-scan would be the equivalent of this I would think, but again, no result. I know I have it set to cable and not antenna.

I have tried completely uninstalling the drivers, the MMC hardware, etc, and installing the stock drivers on the CD... same result. I've also tried uninstalling everything and then installing the new drivers from ATI. No better.

It's possible that maybe I didn't remove something somewhere in the uninstall, but still... it worked before I had to re-do my hard drive and XP, and at different times I had both sets of drivers. I'm not saying the XP re-install caused it, as I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened (again, I hadn't been watching TV for a few weeks).

I HAVE taken the same cable from the computer and hooked it into a TV... and the TV is able to receive all of the channels just fine.

So... now I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Any help / ideas / suggestions would be appreciated, no matter how simple they might be.

Thanks,
SeanJuan:|
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Have you tried exhaustive search for channels which is part of Initialization wizard in TV application? On mine 9700 AIW when I use standard faster autoscan (TV setup/TV tuner/Autoscan) I get found only one channel. But if I start the Initialization wizard (TV Setup/Display/Initialization wizard) with extended search I get found all of them.

If this will not help, hope understand you corrrectly now you are using antene TV reception. If this is the case it might be that signal in your area is weak and TV together with 9700 AIW are not sensitive enough only VCR can do a better job. Might be helped by some antene amplifier or better antene.

good luck ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi everyine,

The problem I am having is with reception of cable television, not reception via antenna.

I have tried using the regular autoscan from the initial setup as well as the initialization wizard... both have yielded the same results... missing channels.

Still searching... still wondering how to get an actual e-mail response from ATI.

Thanks,
SeanJuan
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top